Stupid me! ruined the fuel pump

dvruger

OK I"m stupid. I've got a car with 100K on it and I run the fuel near empty. Not a good idea I know, and now I'm paying for it. The fuel pump has got really loud and I'm afraid of it failing.
My question is if it is best to drop the tank and put an original pump back in, or go aftermarket and put an external fuel pump in and forget droping the tank.
What have other done when faced with this problem?

drop tank, replace with OEM style, even if you have a 10% pulley etc a stock 110L 89-93 or 94/95 150ish liter pump is enough, buy a complete unit(comes with sending unit and pump) from a parts store, its usually the same price if you buy both as a unit. An external pump is a pain to install still and will strain drawing thru a burned pump

Now to disagree with Assclown. Why replace with a stock pump, when you can install a 255 for damn near the same price as a stock pump?

IMHO, you upgrade to the 255 for $114.

Dale

theres no point, Im assuming hes pushing 400hp for that 255;). Kind of like ricers with stock cars and DF Centerforces:D

I would agree. A 255 LPH pump is a waste for anything other than drag racing or road racing. At all other times all you are doing is heating the excess fuel that circulates the fuel rail in a hot engine compartment and then is sent back to the fuel tank. Now if you have a fuel pump controller like Automotive sells or another way to knock down the voltage to the pump in non-race applications then a way to return it to normal for race time you will be alright.

Options

I don't plan, as of yet, on doing much more than stock with this car. I might give it an exhaust upgrade when it wears out the current, and might boost the SC with an overdrive pulley after that, but I'm not looking for drag racing performance.
I was just wondering about the hastles of putting in the OEM over installing an aftermarket, but you brought up a good point trying to draw fuel through the burned out pump. Guess I'd have to drop the tank anyway. Guess I'll have to start calling around for prices, and hope it holds out till fall when I plan on parking this thing for the winter for some TLC.

I agree that a 255 is overkill. WAY overkill. But like for me, since I have no idea what the future holds for my car (except that it will always be mine), I have no desire to run out of fuel and have to change the pump again in the future for the upgrade.

Dale

P.S. Just saw your last post. If you do have no desire to drag race or go for any high-end performance, than I'd definitely go with a stock replacement as was suggested.

Last edited:
Just go with the aftermarket 190 and then you will be covered for most any modification that you want to make on the car. There is absolutley no reason to go through the trouble of dropping the tank just to use a stock pump. Also make sure you replace the strainer and fuel filter at the same time.

Im saying if you do go with the stock pump, the cost of the fuel sending unit is dirt cheap or almost free if you buy them together. I personally would buy the pair together(boxed together). Kind of like changing the wheel bearing seals and not repacking the bearings:rolleyes: :D . Unless you like taking chances;)

I'd recommend the 191 lph.

The FPR will keep the rail pressure correct, and if you start adding mod's, you'll have the capacity you need for the future. ;)

Lee

Back