Weird rattling coming from driver's side...

XsithX

SCCoA Member
Recently my 89 SC has started to make a rattling noise from the engine, near the drivers side wheel well. It rattles when idle but will stop when I'm on the throttle. It's an incredibly noticeable rattle too. Pretty loud.

Anybody know what this could possibly be?

Last edited:
Check the cat or the heat shield for it. I'm going through that on another SC that I swapped an engine into. In that case, it sounds tinny and I think its partly clogged b/c the performace is down. Itsd something that you need to address ASAP, in our case, we cut a known good cat off another car and just waiting to have it welded on. He has been warned to stay out of boost until the cat is changed. Hopefully yours is just the heat shield thats rattling. Good luck

Hmmm... Maybe that could explain my car constantly bucking below 2k RPM?

I've taken it to two mechanics and both didnt really help... the most recent told me to change the MAF. I'm going to order that tomorrow. But I'll look into the cat. Thanks.

If it is the heat shield, you can buy an extra long hose clamp from a hardware store, (I got mine from Sears hardware), wrap it completely around the heat sheild and cat, tighten it up, cut off the excess, and no more noisy rattle.

About a 10 minute job.

Back