Problems with battery in trunk

Tbirdsc Colonel

I installed the trunk relocate kit today and everything works fine but when i go to start it, it turns over really slow for about 5 seconds and then starts. I have no problems starting it right up before trunk relocate any suggestions? please

Did you use heavy guage wiring? If not, then that may be the problem.

Think about trying to give someone a jump start with cheap *** skinny jumper cables, not nearly as effective as heavier guage wiring used in more expensive jumpers.

amps

You need alot of amps to turn this motor over now your traveling alot farther and you lose alot in the resistance of the cables....how many amps is your battery?

Rick in FL:cool:

Its 875 cold cranking amps
1000 amps at 32 degrees
the wire that I used was 2 gauge

I thought it might be the resistance but thats why I got a bigger battery, is there any other way to fix it?

hmmm, I'd do a couple things. If you are lucky you have a shop that will test your starting and charging system for you out in the parking lot. Using their inductive pickup, you can have them measure current draw during starting. See if it's excessive. (or feel the cable and see if it's hot)

Also, where did you ground it? woops, don't run a ground wire up front. But make sure your frame to engine ground is still connected. There is a ground strap on the lower front passenger side of the engine from the body of the car to the forward motor mount bolt. Make sure that is still there.

And yes, 0 gauge wire would be better. But I don't think it should be necessary.

Last edited:
I used 4 ga :eek: and a small 590cca battery and have no problems whatsoever. Where did you connect the power at? I went straight to the starter. The other consideration is ground. Make sure you have a solid ground in the trunk and then make sure that you have a 2ga ground strap from the motor to the frame. I took the old batter ground cable and cut the battery clamp off and crimped on a ring terminal so I could ground that to the frame rail instead of the battery. I assume you did not run a ground cable to the front? That would be a bad idea. :)

Where is your other cable connected to? The positive cable should be connected to the starter relay. That is where the Alternator connects to it as well. At least I think so.

Where did you run your power cable to? Did you run it to the starter or did you run it to the solenoid on the fender? The alternator connects to the starter solenoid. Do you still have a heavy battery cable running from the solenoid to the starter?

Last edited:
Then make sure you check the cable that goes down to the starter, and then check all cables at the starter to make sure they are connected.

The alternator feeds directly to the solenoid through a fusible link right next to the solenoid. Is there a chance you broke the link? Check for 12V at the alternator output (10mm bolt on the back)with the engine not running. If you don't have 12v there, then that could be your problem.

If you have a volt meter you can just check for 13.8-14.4v when the car is running.

Back