Emissions / custom exhaust ?s

MartianBob

Hey all,

I have a 94 with a 3 - cat system.

I really want to free up the exhaust, but I live in Ca. and must pass emissions.

Is it legal to replace the 3 cat system with 2 CARB approved aftermarket cats?

What are you guys doing with your cat systems in states where emissions and visual inspections are required?

For the purpose of this thread, please leave price, sound and other personal preferences aside and focus on the legal issues around the cat system replacement.

Thanks
MB

Bob,
I'm pretty sure that legally, if you have three cats then a shop has to replace it with three cats (located in the same positions). But also, it's illegal for them to replace a working cat, so unless yours are shot, good luck finding anyone who will do it.

So if you want only two cats, you'll have to buy the cats yourself, and then take the exhaust off the car, and have somebody weld it up for you.

The car should still pass the emissions test with two good cats, but it just depends if the place does a visual inspection. The place I go hasn't ever looked under the car (that's why I go there!)

Hmmm...

Thanks for the info. Rob.

I don't suppose the place you go to is anywhere near San Jose?

If anybody can suggest a shop and or station to visit in the San Jose area please drop me a line at martianbobsc@yahoo.com.

I think I will have to remove the existing exhaust intact/entirely and put it all back on once every two years for the tests. That sounds like fun...

any additional info. is much appreciated.

thanks
Bob

you can replace any working cat you want, but bottom line is that if it had the cats on it, then it has to have them on it. You could always just have the shell welded over some straigt pipe and then it would at least look like it was there.

The place I have gone the last couple times is the Texaco station on Old County Road in San Carlos. A bit of a drive from San Jose. You may want to talk to Kevin Keenan (with the 4.2L SC) over at Sprint Mechanics in Campbell. I think I remember him mentioning a good place for getting smogged.

Not a bad idea about swapping the exhaust. If you put a flange in the middle somewhere then you'd only have to change out the front half, that would be pretty easy.

Last edited:
Back