PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! power loss, something leaking

wwwtbirdforumcom
06-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Driving on the high way today in the 90 SC, 87k miles. Car made a noise, sounded like something just let loose and gave up.

When accelerating the boost gauge would go up (not much) but the power would not, felt like i was driving a regular v6 with no supercharger.

At first i thought it was the SC belt, i thought it broke.

Got home, opened the hood up, and there is some fluid (SC Fluid?) running from the tip of the snout to the front of the SC top (basically the whole length of the snout) and the fluid was on the belt and the tensioner arms right near the belt.

What is the problem here? never had any issues with this car and i was not driving it hard at all. when this happened i was in rolling traffic at about 40 mph.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

wwwtbirdforumcom
06-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Just something quick to add, there was a vaccuum line that was very very loose near the SC, the back tube. we are going to replace it now. this may not be the problem we think it has been loose for a while, just dont know.

vancouverBC
06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
SC fluid is more than likely leaking from the front seal on the snout but you said that you've lost power and heard a pop, so maybe the plastic coupler inside the broke. It connects the turning shaft to the rotors inside the SC. What you could try, is to remove the SC belt to see if the power is any different. Without the SC belt, there will be no boost and your horse power will not be there but you will not hurt anything by removing the belt. So if that's what its like now, it may have broken, does it make any noise like parts rattling inside?
Try (E-mail Kardoktor at FLBATFISH@AOL.COM) to see if he is still making replacement couplers. Good luck

David Neibert
06-12-2003, 02:09 PM
The supercharger gear case will sometimes become pressurised by boost that leaks past the seals and needle bearings that seperate the gear case from the area where the rotors are. Because of the way these seals are designed the more inside case pressure there is, the harder the seal lip presses on the shaft.

With trapped air pressure and the additional heat induced expansion from driving the car, the snout seal is pushed against the flimsy wire retainer and if the retainer pops out the seal will follow.

I have had this happen several times on my car. In fact just about two weeks ago Chris Wise and I removed the pulley to install a heavy duty snap ring in place of the flimsy wire. While we were trying to get the new snap ring into the groove, the snout seal poped out with a bang and sprayed us both with oil. The car had been sitting in my garage for several days and was cool to the touch, so we wern't expecting that much case pressure.

Sounds like your seal retainer failed and the snout seal poped out up against the pulley. Oil on the belt would cause it to slip pretty bad and getting into the boost would just cause it to spray more oil. It's a pretty easy fix.

David

now a tbird guy
06-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys, i was fearing the worst but it sounds like a good weekend project, might have to leave the SC belt off for the week, will this do any harm? (i dont think it will)

vancouverBC
06-12-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm glad David cleared that up as its never happened to me.
But driving without the SC belt will not hurt anything, Ford designed the car so that if the belt breaks the car will still run normally aspirated, and the power will be a less than an LX 3.8. So don't be shocked when you see VWs pass you. I drove for 3 months without the belt while I was waiting for parts to arrive. Good luck

now a tbird guy
06-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys