Oil Pressure

MercXr7-5speed

SCCoA Member
Ok I know that the stock guage is basically a dummy light, but today when I started my XR& the check gauge light was on and the reading was very close to L on the gauge. I went under the hood and check the connection at the sensor but it was fine. If I rev the motor u[p to 5 grand in neutral, the gauge jumps to halfway up and the check gauge light goes away. What gives? Is this the sensor beginning to fail? All help is appricaiated thank you.

Joe

i have had same prob. Odds are it is the wires going to sender getting brittle and increasing resistance so it isn't getting full voltage it should out of it or sender is going bad. If you buy anothe rone get Ford parts, mine broke after a year with aftermarket

sometimes dirt particles in the oil can get stuck on it and make it read 0 pressure, mine used to do that every now and then and it would all of the sudden go back to normal. It can also be a sign that it is time to change the oil.

Well, I just recently bought this one in march. The oil in it looked pretty bad so I changed it promptly. I changed it agian about 1500 miles ago. Maybe the previous owner(s) of this one didn't change it often enough? It's got 164K on it but pulls like a champ. It puts out 12 psi at WOT in third gear getting on the highway. I think it runs better than my 89 with 122k on it and she only pulls 10 max ever. Thanks for the suggestions. The part is cheap enough where I think I am going to buy a new one and change the oil at the same time.

Joe

Back