A Weekend with our American Friends

L

Les Borda

Over on the non-technical forum I have placed a post regarding a possible summer weekend with our fellow SC'ers from the Buffalo NY, Detroit Michigan area. I thought a get together in London which is sort of central to all the areas would be a blast. Sparta(sorry I'm dating myself again) St. Thomas Dragway is nearby and we could go and play.

If we get interest in it could I ask someone from the club to work with me in ironing out details? I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

PLeae mention to them the race coming up in June, we could use more support form the SC guys. I am working on sponser right now, we already have a few, but still need some from the SC sites. Anyone have any connections or want to be in charge of getting SC sponsers, even if companies donate t-shirts or caps thhat would be cool and helpful, maybe gift cetificates or even a small prize. Doesn't really matter.

If anyone can help please email me and let me know.

Thanks, and invite everyone you can!

Damn...

London:
I'm only about 30 miles away as the crow flies but about a 4 hour drive. :mad:
I'd have to go around Lake Erie at the Falls.
I can get several Canadian radio stations clear as a bell. On a nice day from Erie, PA you can even SEE Long PT., Ontario from a high vantage point. SO close, yet so FAR away.

You guys are kidding about bringing beer across the border, right? They'd have my SC and everything in it laid out in a line behind the car...or is that the old days?

I can't remember who was MORE rude, but I THINK it's the American customs when we try to get back home. I'm talking a LONG time ago.
Hopefully it's easier now?

Phil
p.s. Worst time I ever had at customs was when a van full of Pennsylvanians came up to Fort Erie, Ont. to see the girlies at Maxine's? Anyway, our driver told a fib to the Canadian customs agent when he asked why we were coming to Canada. Our driver said, "To see that Falls". Customs agent said, "C'mon...a van full of guys at 11 PM on a weeknight coming to Canada to see the Falls?" "GET OUT of the van!"
[line up]
"Sorry, sir...OK, we're heading to Maxine's to see the strippers, alright?"
[Agent] "AHhhh...why didn't you SAY so? Have a nice night!" :lol:

Sadly to say...EVERY Pennsylvania car in the parking lot that night got it's tires slashed! We got a place from Buffalo come over and sell us some tires. True story!
What a lousy morning...

BOTH COUNTRIES could use a ferry boat for crossing Lake Erie.
LOTS of Canadiens come to Erie for tax free clothing.

Bad customs experiences (Late 80's, early 90's) and I haven't tried it since!!!! :mad:

Customs

Yeah those customs guys can be a real pain, Canadian ones are no better. BTW, I live just outside of Niagara Falls, Ontario in St. Catharines. If you want to come to the race you can follow me up on the day of the race. You are welcome to come.

Check out the other post on tis forum for more details.

Jamie

Re: Customs

I had an American agent run through a list of personal questions once and he had me steaming, too.

A friend of mine was a long haul truck driver, hauling tomatoes from South Florida to Toronto and bringing office paper back down to Florida. One day he asked me to tag along to Canada...I was unemployed at the time, so what the heck?
Routine (3) hour wait at Canadian customs. They were very friendly , but I was bored out of my mind. They had to inspect nearly every box in that truck, rightly so.

On the way back home, however, the jerk American agent asks:
Destination/Citizenship?
What are you doing riding along with him? Tagging along.
Do you have a job? What?
Why don't you have a job? Ummmm, the economy or something?
Are you married? WTF?
Do you have a girlfriend? Ah man, I'm getting pissed! :mad:
Yes I do, but we're not talking right now.
Any drugs or alcohol in your posession? No, why...wanna party? :lol:
firearms? Not yet!
Let me see your PA Driver license! OK... Cutie, aren't I? [wink at him] :lol:

If I don't come to London, please don't hold it against me.
I'm sure you guys are cool and I've met some of you already.
Wayne and Bill. Good guys! :)

Phil these days since 9/11 I imagine it's worse than ever. Speaking personally I have never been hassled going into the USA, mind you I have not done it since 9/11 either. Canada Customs has never given me a hard time either or my US friends if they were with me for a visit. However I have seen US customs hang a beating on their own citizens as if they were GD criminals trying to sneak back into their own country. Same crap as you..how much money do you have, are you employed and why not...etc etc. Holy moly it's none of their damned business with their own citizens. They never get that anal with us coming back into Canada, they could care less if we are employed or married, got proof of citizenship...good enough.
Come down anyway just give yourself lots of time going back because the I hear the line ups are long.

I know it, Les! WhY, why, why?

Canadian Customs ARE nice...If we'd of told the truth that one time...no hassle at all!
Getting our tires slashed was a fluke. It could of been people from the states. No problem with that, except SOMEONE picked on four PA vehicles. All 4 tires, too. :mad:

You know...That American agent DID ask how much money I had!

I'll think about this...good idea and thanks for the invitation.

Back