76mm maf and my car

TbirdSC93

How much HP could I look forward to by putting one of these on my cars...my car already has a few mods

Magnuson S-model ported Supercharger
3/4 in raised Supercharger top
10% Supercharger pulley
MN12 Performance exhaust
Magnaflow resonator
Dynomax cat back
Intercooler fan
4:10 gears
K&N cone filter

Just curious for an estimate...also if anyone thinks they know what kinda torque im makin that would be great to.
thanx,
Jeremy

Not much. you currently have a 70mm MAF so moving up only 6MM won't be much. I think you would need a 76mm Maf along with a bigger throttle body to realize the power from some of your other bolts ons.

Actually there is a very significant difference in airflow capability between the two. I can not say how much power it is worth, but you are talking 1000cfm vrs 500cfm. Ideal for your setup is probably 700.

my mod are about the same.I have a 90 auto.
My mods are
Cone filter.
C&L MAF 76mm
MP 3in.cold air tube.
BBK 75mm throttle body.
MP plenum.
MPII blower.
MP 3/4in.top.
10% OD pulley.
SCP exhaust.
Before i added the MP plenum & MPII blower.My sc made 221.0 RWHP & 331.9 RWTQ
With the outside temp of about 62 degrees.

When I added the MP plenum & MPII. It made 250.7 RWHP & 331.9 RWTQ.
With the outside temp of 86 degrees & humidity.of 98%

Hope this helps ya.

There may be other reasons why you did not register a torque increase on the dyno. How bout you mention how much the fun factor is increased? :)

On a technical note:

The stock 55mm ma flows about 450cfm.
The stock 70mm ma flows about 700cfm.
A 73mm flows about 850cfm.
A 76mm flows about 1000cfm.
An 80mm flows about 1200cfm.
A 90mm flows about 1800cfm.

A 300rwhp v-6 will draw about 650cfm at 6000rpm.
A 350rwhp v-6 will draw about 700cfm at 6000rpm.

Obviously some of us are running slightly overkill.

If anyone is interested, I did a little testing on a mostly stock SC with only a removed resonator for mods. I ran the car at the 1/4 with the stock silencer, airbox, and 55mm ma. I then removed the silencer and installed a 73mm ma. It made no difference. NONE. In fact my fastest run of the night ( I made about 8) was made with the stock parts intact (90.9mph) though my quickest time came later in the night after some practice albiet at a lower mph (90.6).

Well the MPII & plenum with the addition #42 injector.
It feels like it gained 50 RWHP.The power band is much wider.
My SC is a lot more fun to drive now. The MPII & MP plenum was
was worth the money.

When I dynoed the sc, it was the same dyno,but had a different
operator running the dyno.

It was warmer and raining.These 2 reasons may be why i only got a 29 RWHP
increase on the dyno sheet& the operator.

I am very happy with the mods.I would like to get up to 275 to 300RWHP.
The only bad points I see so far is,I need new back tires already.
And I have a air leak in the back seat area because the SC interior fills up with
smoke when I leave a stop sign.:D

MY next mod will be welded & port the heads,titanium roller lifters,carbonfiber
pushrods,cam,ect.I am finally getting to the point of adding my parts instead
of the store bought parts.So I look for the number to jump about 100RWHP
by the end of the year.Plus I am in the process of taking about 500lb+ off
the SC.K-Member, ect.

Last edited:
hey

so XR7 Dave, are you saying that basically a 76mm maf will be enough for any SC up to about 400RWHP?? anything over that is basically pointless or does it do any good to get an 87 or 90maf? im very curious because ive been wondering about which maf to get,
-damon

I think David Neibert said he swapped his 76mm MAF for a larger MAF
and didn't see a gain.

maybe David N. will see this and ring in.

Last edited:
You are correct Randy, I saw no gains on the dyno when going from a C&L 76mm to a Pro M 87mm. Both setups were tuned by Brian Herron and took 4 or 5 pulls to dial it in for max power.

David

Knowing that airflow is not really the issue, just get whatever is going to achieve what you want at the price you want to pay. It is a good idea to match the MAF to your TB and inlet tube size. Keep in mind future possible upgrades of injectors and how you plan to accomodate that.

Last edited:
Then a 75MM TB is more than enough for most motors with several bolt-ons; why is MP pushing these 85MM TBs?? I can't even imagine why you would need something that big, even on a 450RWHP car? I know the Mustang crowd doesn't even use that big on their supercharged V8 street cars.

Talon660....

That is one of the differances between Asperated and Non-Asperated...

I would agree that the 85MM Tbody is overkill. But the MPII gear is the bizz, and gives you alotta bang for quite a few bux, but hey...I think that the only thing "TbirdSC93" left out to make some big gains, is the MPII intake pelnum paired with a 75MM tbody. There is your HP bottleneck "Stock Upper Intake Plenum"...But is a fair few more bux as well...

Good Luck

Brad

Coy Miller found that the 85MM TB was worth about 5hp (I think) on the dyno on his 500hp motor. It could be for other reasons than simple airflow capacity like it fits the plenum better. Who knows. It's mostly about the bling.

We all need a larger & straighter intake manifold plenum & A larger hole in the intake manifold
to bolt it up to.

I think the intake hole on the back of the intake manifold is one of the biggest bottle necks, that
no one talks about.

Will the magnum powers intake plenum work with the magnuson s-model ported supercharger...if so how much power does that give paired up with a 75mm throttle body....I ask because I want to know if ill have to change injectors after all that

Back