Prospective SC owner questions

K

k-dawg

Hi guys! I'm a newbie here and I own one of the SC's exotic relatives, the Taurus SHO. I was driving home this evening and I stumbled across a black T-bird SC on the side of the road for sale. I've always been intrigued by these cars so I decided to take a look. It's a 5-speed and the paint is really bad but the body is straight and the interior is okay. The odometer reads about 73,000. A guy comes out to talk to me about the car but there was a little bit of a language barrier and I don't think he was the owner of the car and he didn't really know much about it. He thought it was an 89. He cranks it up for me and pops the hood. It turns out the S/C belt had broke and there was a new one in the back seat (not on the pulleys). The car was idling, and we were standing there trying to converse, and the car died. Overall the car was kinda nasty and possibly abused. The guy said something about $800-$1000 pricewise.

So here's my questions: (I tried a search but couln't find what I wanted)
1) Would there be any damage done with the car running without the S/C belt? And would this have caused the car to conk out?
2) What potential problems should I look for in and on the car? (common problems)
3) What would most likely need to be done maintanance-wise to get the car reliable again?
4) Where (other than here) can I learn more about these cars?

I realize that these may be hard questions to answer without seeing the car in person, but I'm somewhat interested in there cars and wondered what you all thought about this one. Thanks in advance!

No damage from running without the belt. Syncros are a big problem on the 5-speeds. Head gaskets are a problem, ABS accumulator. Other than those major problems these cars are pretty sturdy. Oh yeah, the DIS Module as well.

Back