Can the plastic tank radiators be repaired?

phils89sc

I have a used radiator from a 92 SC. This is the style that has the plastic tanks. I have heard that these radiators had some issues, but I really need to replace the one in my 89SC (brass tanks) as it is leaking at the inlet neck and I think may be partially clogged.

I am going install it and see if it leaks but was wondering if there were any certain areas I should look at in particular?

Thanks

Phil

My original plastic tank started to leak along a corner, the whole corner started to crack. Supposedly you can carefully bend the tabs back and pull of the tanks, replace the gasket, put on a new tank, and bend the tabs back to replace bad tanks. But I don't know if the tanks/gaskets are still available.

I think going '89 to '92 you should be OK, but somewhere around 1993 the radiator design changed in the mounting design, and the overflow tube areas. If your overflow tank is on the same side of the car as the 1992 you should be OK. If not the radiator can still be sued, but the mounting tabs may need to be modified, and you will need to lengthen the overflow tube to reach the other side of the neck.

I have a 95 sc with the same type of radiator in it and a radiator shop told me it could not be repaired if it was leaking where the tank connects to the core which is where mine was leaking so that is the info i have. I actually foound one on the internet that was a replacement and was all brass. Hope this helps.

Back