Exhaust: clamps vs. welding

clickster34

Well, after a long 5 weeks of waiting my cat-back and down tubes are here from supercoupe performance. My Kooks shorty headers are already on. Bill recommended to me that the cat back should be welded on and that is why he doesn’t include clamps. Now that everything is here I’m reluctant to get it welded on. Would it be all that bad to just clamp everything on? I don’t have much experience in exhaust, so what would be the pros and cons of clamps vs. welding. Also, I didn’t get any bolts to connect the headers to the down tubes; I assumed they would be included. What size and length bolts should I get. I only ask because I want to have everything I need before I crawl back under the car. Thanks, Scott

Had to weld mine before it would pass state safety inspection. I tried clamping mine and it leaked at every connection.

Take it to an exhaust shop and pay them to install and weld it. Without the clamps you will also get better ground clearance.

David

Not only that the welded pipes are much easier to take off, all you have to do is unbolt them at the manifold and the whole system comes off.

weld it and forget it

If you weld it the system will not leak. If you try to clamp it, you will be under the car every week fixing it. We tried one of those systems and found that the pipes were short. Clamps had nothing to grab on to. Get it welded and you will be happier than if you try to do anything else. Remember thou, once you weld, you can't take it apart again...Good luck....Rich

weld it

leaks suck, youll definetly have them, I thought the same as you and just clamped it, big mistake it leaks like a civ. Now I gotta get it welded. save a headache. goodluck

Back