Car won't turn over... blown fuse/relay?

syphon

I was driving my car around today, and then I stopped home for a bit. I ran back out to try to start the car, and it turns over for about a half second and then stops.

When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens. It wont turn over, but all the accesories come on. It's like I dont have my foot on the brake pedal or something (even though I do).

I'm reasonably sure it's not a dead battery. All the accesories work fine, and like I mentioned, I was driving the car around all day, no issues came up at all. I doubt the battery would work perfectly fine for months and then die in a space of about 20 minutes.

I dont think it's the starter either. This has happened before. A friend came out while we were peering under the hood, and he mentioned that one time this happened to his friend's taurus and they played around with a bunch of fuses and it eventually started up. We then did that to my car, and it worked. This may have just been pure circumstance.

Any ideas what could cause this? Anywhere for me to start looking?

Do the brake lights work???

since in '89/90 you have to have the brakes applied to start the car right? if the switch isn't working or isn't working right it may not allow you start the car...

just a thought...

and if it's a 5spd, it may be the Neutral/start switch in the tranny (forget which years had them, '89??) or the clutch switch...

Brakes lights are fine.

There's a very audible "Click" from the engine compartment... relay? Could there be an issue with my starter?

yah got a test light??? or can make up a test light with a 12Volt (auto) Bulb? or a multimeter?

At the starter siliniod <Sp> there's like 3 connections, 2 5/16th studs/nuts, and one like 1/8" with a push on connector (a red/lt blue strip wire)

one of the 2 Studs should have a bunch of wires (yellow x2 or 3, a large red and another largeish wire (goes to the starter)) and should have full battery voltage...

the other larger stud should only have power when you try to start the car (Or jump the `push on' temermal to the battery postive (make shure car is out of gear and the hand brake on full before tempting that one :p )

but chances are it may be the starter...

What shape are your battery cables in?
Check all cables and connections.
Take them off, clean them and put them back on.
This includes, connections at the battery, connections at the starter, connections on the solenoid just behind the battery.
(My first guess is you have a rotted / corroded negative or positive battery cable.)

I've checked all connections... and everything seems to be connected fine.

What are some tests I can perform to see if the starter is bad?

syphon said:
I've checked all connections... and everything seems to be connected fine. What are some tests I can perform to see if the starter is bad?
Did you clean them anyway? You can take the starter to some place like autozone or other and have it tested for free. Or you can take it off and test it on a bench with a battery and jumper cables. Ground the starter case; hook the + terminal to the lower screw, then take a jumper wire to the small tab from the + cable and it should turn.

it sounds like your car doesn't know it is park. i am assuming it is an auto. sometimes cars do that. try putting it in neutral and starting it. or putting it in park with a little something extra.

if it was your battery connections all of your lights would go out when you tried to start it. if it was your starter, well , you would know.

I've tried wiggling the shifter any everything, it doesnt seem to be related to that.

It's definately not a loose connection at the battery, as all the accessories and lights stay on at all times. It could be a bad connection with the starter, but I havent dug around down there yet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the car won't start in Neutral either.

Last edited:
it has to be starter or battery cable related if the nuetral switching or anything wasnt workin then you wouldnt hear that audible click of the relay Ive had my positive cable loosed up a bit a the starter and have it not turn over id check your connections for tightness and for corrosion have ur battery tested then change the starter

Don't assume that because the batt terminals look clean that they are. Corrosion is not always visible, which is why you should clean the posts and terminals first with steel wool and make sure they are tight, not overly tight but tight.
Your headlights don't draw enough current to tell you if the terminals are clean enough to pass starter current.
Start with the easy stuff, then work your way to the harder stuff.;)

Hey Syphon...

All good advice here..I just thought I would add that I have changed 3 starters in my 90SC since I bought it in 93, so it is not a rare part to replace...

But yea get under there and check all your connections and clean them up all nice regardless...I like to use a wire brush then hit it with that battery terminal spray...The red chit...

good luck man

Brad

It is more than likely

The starter solenoid is more than likely what is wrong with your car. On our cars they are located on the driver's side fender apron in the engine compartment. For a starter to seize like that, there would usually be symptoms leading up to a problem. I would also check for corrosion on the battery cables and grounding cables to and from the engine block.

To test the solenoid, take the little push-on connector off from the top post (1/8" post). Take a screwdriver and jump it to the larger post that is closer to the shock tower. Make sure your car is in neutral first though. This should directly engage the starter, ignition on or off, doens't matter.

Let us know how it works out.

May also be your ignition switch in the car itself (in steering column). I think there may be a recall on those, but not 100% sure.

Phil

Back