is my blower junk?(kinda long)

redtbirdsc

I was on my way to a stereo shop and all of a sudden there was a soft bang sound(I thought it was the tranny)and the car started to speed up(my foot was off the gas pedal).I get to a red light and press the clutch in and the rpm's jumped up to 2000.I took it nice and easy on the way home,after I get there and shut it off it made a sound like there was a dying cow in my intake somewhere.After letting it cool for about an hour I started to pull it apart peice by peice and checking them out as I went,well after I got the blower top off I reached into the blower(still on the car with belt on)on the roters moved back and forth(the same way they turn ,not front to back)about an inch to an inch and a half. So is my blower junk or is it supposed to do that,and if not is it possible that it could be rebuilt?

Thanks in advance
Chris

The rotors should turn about 1 inch or so due to the spring isolator used to quiet the harmonics from being transferred to the blower.This sounds like a problem with your throttle body or associated parts.It does not look like you have a problem with your blower!

is my blower junk

Well thats good news.I did kindof think about the TB having somthing to do with it only cause I did a littlr bit of porting to it last week (I was just going to do the MAF mod but went a little crazy with the dremmal).
What in the throttle body would cause it to sound like a dying cow?

Your problem is...

That sound is made by a dying or dead IAC (idle air control) valve, located on the side of the throttle body (black plastic thing). It will hang open if it fails (most of the time) and cause a air to continue to get sucked through it even when the engine is shut down, hence the "dying cow" sound. Replace it (get yourself a new one at Autozone) and you're done.

Phil

throttle body

guess this gives me a good reason to upgrade to a 70 or 75 mm throttle body:cool: .Or I could leave the car off the road and start my engine build that I have been planning.

Last edited:
Originally posted by redtbirdsc
...I started to pull it apart peice by peice and checking them out as I went,well after I got the blower top off I reached into the blower(still on the car with belt on)on the roters moved back and forth(the same way they turn ,not front to back)about an inch to an inch and a half.

Chris
Being able to rock the rotors back and forth like that is a dead giveaway that the coupler is shot. The coupler is the connection between the snout shaft and the drive gear, it can go south at the drop of a hat. See pic below, it's labeled as "plastic disk" at the far left.
Pop the snout housing off and take a look, be sure to pull the drain plug and dump the supercharger oil in a container before you open it up because the oil has a NASTY smell.
KarDoktor (and maybe others on these boards) make couplers for our M90's. I've tinkered with making 'em out've Delron but I'm not real sure I'm happy with them yet.

let us know what you find,

'bird

snoutparts_a6.jpg

dead blower?

Well after spending about 7 hours of working between my sc and tc so that I would have a car to drive again(that will teach me to put off things to be done),I have decided to just rip the super coupe apart and do my engine build and just use my turbo coupe for my daily driver.It may not be as nice as the sc but its just as fast and if I crank the boost up a little more its faster than the sc,not like when I went from driving a pos chevy sprint that was lucky to 30mph down hill.

Back