Cooling system faulty

• Thread starter Distinguished Dat2k1
  • Start date
D

Distinguished Dat2k1

Cooling system faulty

Does anyone have any freakin idea why my cooling fan will not turn on? I have replaced the little computer by the air filter and that didn't work so i was forced to buy and adjustable cooling fan relay which does not work properly....the bloody fan runs all the time! I just want it to run like it did when it was new so i can discard of this $40 adjustable realy that runs the fan constantly.
Are there any other sensors that i should be aware of that couls possiblt be fried (I tried looking for a coolant temperature sensor but it seems to be non-existant on these cars and the coolant temperature sending unit is working fine)

Re: Cooling system faulty

Are you sure the sending unit is ok, I don't know how you even check those without just replacing it. The EEC(main computer) gets it's signals from the sending unit and tells the IRCM(the box you replaced) to turn on either the low speed or the high speed fan based on temperature.
Your fan should also come on (low speed) when you flip on the A/C

Guys,

Are there no external relays anywhere? Are they all in the IRCM? How 'bout the wiring harness? Does your aftermarket fan relay bypass any of it that might be masking a wiring fault? I think the EEC also plays a role?! I seem to remember seeing something when I was reading about picking up an EEC tuner. I believe you can adjust the temperatures at which both the low speed on and high speed on are set to within the EEC. I think that's why you're not finding another temp. sensor. I suspect the one on top of the motor (thermostat housing???) feeds the EEC which then tells the IRCM what to do.

Anybody else have any ideas?

I hope this helps, Distinguished Dat2k1.

Cheers,

Sean

There's squat anywhere else Sean it's all on the IRCM, have a boo at the back of your Haynes manual and it shows the inside and outside wiring and signals in and out of the IRCM, You are right everything comes form the EEC to the IRCM.

He may have the outside switches wired wrong.

To test the IRCM relays you use a jumper wire and ground pin 17 which is a 12-14 gauge pink wire to turn on the high speed. To turn on the low speed you cut the wire on pin 14(brown or beige I forget) to turn on the low speed, it has to float, neither ground nor +12. If they come on your IRCM is ok and it may be the sending unit or the EEC. more likley the sending unit or coolant temperature sensor I think they call it.

more

hmmmm...I thought the sending unit only operated the temperature guage in my car and thats why i said it was working fine....and i thought that the a/c turned the fan on high speed?.

Re: more

There are two temp sensors one for the gauge, one that feeds the EEC. The A/C should turn on the low speed fan, check it out and at least you know the IRCM internal relay is ok. I have a feeling your coolant temperature sensor may be pooched, not the sending unit that's the one that feeds your gauge and is located on the air vent tube that sticks up with the yellow plastic warning tag on it. I can't remember where the sensor unit is and I can't find it in the Haynes manual cuz I was in a hurry.

Re:more

i have also looked for a temp sensor in a haynes and in my dealership manual...but it seems to be non-existant, if you find it pleae let me know where it is...thnx

Re: Re:more

look where the heater cores water supply exits the intake manifold, that is where the ECT sensor is. Like Les suggests, test the IRCM first than try replacing the ECT if everything else check out fine. As a note to anyone looking to buy a new IRCM they are only $75 at Canadian Tire as opposed to $154 I believe at Ford.

Re: Re:more

I think your right Sabastien eveb at our price from Ed I believe he said around $130.00 for the IRCM. CTC has great prices on the IRCM and the DIS($160.00 I think).

ircm

IT was mentioned that the IRCM can be found at Canadian tire.
I called 2 different C.tires, and they said they do not carry it. However, the 2 people I spoke with didn't sound too swift. Does anyone out there know the C.tire part number or the name the IRCM goes by at C.tire?

Mr. Mills!

Long time no post. I trust the motor is running well for you.

I think the guys have pretty much covered this issue for you.

Regards,

I'm not so sure that "db001" is Mike. Mike started this thread originally, but it's over a year and a half old now! ...I gave incorrect information in it too!!!

Cheers,

Sean

sorry to disappoint you, (Sean and Bill) but I am not Mike. But do either of you guys know if infact you can purchase an IRCM from C.Tire? Like a mentioned earlier, I spoke to 2 different C.tire parts departments, and they did not have a clue as to what I was talking about.

Sorry, I'm not sure whether or not you can get an IRCM from CTC. Did you go in and ask for an "IRCM"? Maybe they would have it listed in full form (i.e. Integrated Relay Control Module).

Good luck.

Cheers,

Sean

Okay....why would this post have been brought back from over a year ago? I admit, that certainly confused me.

I thought it was new. My mistake.

Back