i hate supercoupes!! help!!

bentley801

ok i just put the stock motor back in my 90, and this thing is about to get murdered. its smoking out the tail pipes, (real fine, light mist type smoke.) blowing coolant out of the radiator, making some ungodly noises on the accesory belts or the jack shaft, the trans is bucking and clunking. any ideas on what the hell is goin on?? i have over 11 grand in this pos, not counting the 14 grand i paid for the busch motor that is not gonna run right, and i am about broke! i need help!! thanx matt

Sounds like your coolant and combustion are talking to each other. Bad headgasket, or cracked block or heads... You say new motor, were the heads torqued down correctly?

If you shut if off be careful trying to restart it, actually I'd say don't start it.

If the coolant is leaking into the cylinders, you might hydro-lock the motor, and it will bend a rod if you try to restart it.

Pull the plugs and checkl which cylinders have coolant in them.

Maybe the head is'nt torqued down, & leaking into a water passage.
as the motor gets warmer a oil passage starts to leak ,making it start
to smoke.

Read the plugs first.

May be you could try a compression test or a leak down test.

good luck.I liked the bush motor idea.

Last edited:
I feel your pain! However some more detailed diagnosis is in order. Your description of your problems is a little to vague to really help you much.

Has it gotten better with some running?

sorry. this is gonna be long

dave, good point. i guess i shouldnt be so vauge and try and ask for help. ok so i put the motor in yesterday and started it, it fires right up no problem, and is pulling good vac.at idle (18-19psi). i look back and see the mist/smoke coming out of the tail pipes. so i start freakin out. i check all the fittings check oil level, coolant level, and ll is good so i let it keep runnin, thinking that its just condensation in the motor and exhaust. and after a while it clears up. so i drive from lima down to newark, which is about a hundred miles. does fine, gets great gas milage, and aside from the power steering being all loud and stuff, it runs good most of the way down here. but within 10 miles of my house, it starts makin this loud growling/ticking/clicking in the acc. drive part of the engine. so now i gettin angry, and not caring wether it blows up or not go home. so this morning i went out and checked every thing over and it all looks good, fluid levels are good. so i start it and the noise is still in the front. i have the radiator cap off and coolant starts coming outnot gushing, but gurgaling out the top, like its getting pressure blown in it somewhere. now i every car i have had up to this point, i could have the cap off and run the motor, and no coolant would come out.but i have herd that its normal for fluid to come out. i duuno somebody say something. but thats about it. i figured out the drive line prob, i guess the busch motor was a lil bit much for the stock mounts, they are torn all to hell. and thanx for all the intrest in that swap guys. its now residing in my ranger, carb and all. ill post some times on it later.. so sorry about the length of this but please respond with some input and advice. thanx guys. matt

oh yea it does quit smokin after it warms up, but still does it on start up. it also is not using any fluids??? what the ****?????? help!!!!!!!!!!!! thanx matt

If that is all that is going on, it could be much less serious. You can't take the rad cap off these cars when running, they will begin to overflow within about 10 seconds. The mist could indeed be condensation in the exhaust, that is very typical if the car has been sitting, even just a couple hours enough water will be in the exhaust to make some steam.

Track down your noise, I'd say that is your bigger worry right now. Pull off the belts and spin everything by hand. It might be the S/C itsself.

Regarding the pressure in the radiator, I agree with the others. The reason the SC does this is that the radiator is not the highest part of the system. Try this, when you start the car up cold, squeeze the upper rad hose and get a feel for how much pressure there is (shouldn't be any) and see if pressure seems to build in the hose before the engine warms up.

I would just watch your fluid levels for awhile and see if you are losing any water. Also make sure your oil stays clear. You could do a cylinder balance test also. Not sure if that would pick up a leaking headgasket or not but it won't hurt.

If you can't tell which pulley is making all the noise by spinning them by hand, put one on at a time until the noise comes back.

Now that I think about it, you are saying it sounds like the jack shaft? That is very possible it has a fair amount of stress on it. I had the bearings go out in the jackshaft on my '89. Pull the belts off, and see if the jackshaft pulley will wobble in your hand.

The problem with this situation is that the jackshaft is pressed into the AC compressor bracket. THe only intended way to fix this is to replace the bracket.

I think George D had some info on rebuilding the jackshaft, using some waterpump bearings to replace the worn ones.....

thanx guys. i feel alil bit less freaked right now. ok so let me get this straight, the jack shaft is the double pulley under my ac right? just wanna make sure were on the same page. gus it better no be my sc, i just got it back from magnum powers. so im gonna hopefully rule that out
and the mist and stuf should be considered normal?? ok cool. thanx again guys. matt

If it is a jack pulley bearing, sorry they are not rebuildable at this time. You'll need to start looking for a bracket assembly if that is what the problem is.

ok guys id like to say thanx alot for the input. you have no idea how much help this forum has been in helping me gettin my car up and running. so i need to get a new bracket? does ford carry these? or someplace else? also i did a thred on a/c elim. bracket a while back, and i did get some good info but no idea on where to get the bracket. heres the thred:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22268&highlight=a/c+elimination
so if i need a new jackshaft bracket i want to go a head and get this elim setup to. somebody please tell me were to get this. thanx guys.

So you did verify that it IS the jackshaft pulley? If you are sure then yes, you need the whole bracket.

If you want to delete the A/C, there is a bracket and pulley you can get that were made for the n/a Tbird. It is Ford part # E9SZ-8678-C. It runs about $42. However it is a 6 rib pulley, not an 8rib. You will need to either trim your belt with a razor knife or get a different belt (6-rib Dayco number: 5060900).

The idler pulley is plastic and is likely good for about 2-3HP in weight savings alone over the steel A/C pulley.

one point i have to tell you all one time i put a head gasket on a honda car and went up the road 2 or 3 miles it still threw steam out the exhaust i pulled the head back off and found no probs
i concluded the steam was still in the muffler from when the first headgasket went i didnt run it long enough to warm it up and blow all the water out of the muffler thanks rlong

If you do need a new bracket, I don't think it is available from Ford anymore. When mine crapped out 3 years or so ago, I called the dealer and the said it was unavailable then. Look for someone parting out a lower mileage car.....

So what are we gonna do when alot of SC's start needing these, this could be the end of a lot of SC's. My 90 may be needing that bracket soon. I just degreased it last night, and painted it a fresh coat of black, and I noticed the bearing was a little rough, not bad, but not like a new smooth bearing. What to do? I think I'll try it, but if it fails, there goes my SC. at least if it throws those belts, the car can still run, unless the belts take out some wiring or hoses.

Back