are three nuts ok on the sc top?

beedogg91

when i was resealling the top i overtightened the nut that holds the electrical connector. so i can only get like 10lbs of tq on it before it starts to loosen again. so i got the other three at 30lbs of tq and that one at like 8. is that ok. i figure the way it is flat and all you probably only really need 2. brian

no, remove the top when you can and heli-coil all the holes(tape the blower openings up before you do this). I think they were about 10ft/lbs, um you just use a ratchet, dont bother with a torque wrench(unless you are unsure of what 10ft/lbs is)

That top supports the blower case. I image that without proper support on all 4 corners the case will distort under high rpms. If this happens the rotors could contact the case ruining your blower. It won't hurt anything at lower rpms.

yea thats a good point dave. the thing is that the bolt is in and everything, its just not as tight as the other 3. so it is still in there for support. i would think that would prevent the flexing. brian

WHAT TO USE

I HAD THE SAME DEAL HAPPEN.................... I TAPPED IT TO THE NEXT LARGER SIZE.................... OPENED THE TOP HOLE UP ALSO ..............WAS CAREFUL ABOUT PULLING DOWN TO TIGHT ON IT ....................RUNS OKAY.................FAST FREDDIE........:D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bowling ball equivalency

Hold your thumb and forefinger together in the shape of an "O" and bring it to about the size to fit a postage stamp.. Now.. picture taking a regular 16lb bowling ball and set it into that "O" and holding it up.. Thats about the equivalent of the maximum force per sq-in of the SC top surface. If we estimate the SC top at approx 16 in-sq, then the seal only needs to withstand 16 bowling balls of force. This would be roughly 4 bowling balls per bolt.
It would seem to me that with the close tolerances, and the prescribed thin layer of RTV copper, (and without doing the math to convert the torque to axial force partially cuz I can't recall it immediately) 10 lbs of torque per bolt would do the trick.

I like to start with lower torques and then move up, so for me its 5lbs. If there's a problem, then I tighten to 10.. 15.. etc.

Back