Changing spark plugs

Mitchell

I'm going to change my sparkplugs tomarrow in my SC. My dad said it was a long job, and hes been working on cars for a long time. Is this really going to take a long time? Do you have any tips for me? What all will I need to take off to get to the old spark plugs?

Thanks for your help.

Not that bad but a pain

Mitchell,

Passenger side - Biggest pain. Start there first. Remove the air intake hose between air filter and throttle plate. Also, disconnect the wiring harnesses for the fuel injection, etc. on the passenger side and push them out of the way. Should be able to get at all from the top - you'll need a long socket extension and and universal joint wouldn't hurt.

Drivers side - much easier. Can get two from the top and is best to do the other from the bottom (can't remember...it's either the one closest to the firewall or closest to the radiator...when you look at it, you'll know which one). Jack up the car on the drivers side to give you some room to work underneath.

That's how I do it...other's may have better ideas.

I havwe come to a problem though. On the passenger side.. theres a large hose at the bottom blocking me from getting the socket in place. I can't find out how to get it out either. It looks like its goin to the bottom of the radiator. Can anyone help me figure out how to eitehr getr it off or get around it?

Thanks
Mitchell

On that side I had to just scrap my knuckles to get the socket on, its a pain, and then go under the car to loosen/tighten it.

Sorry not much help.
Julian

If your A/C isn't working then you can pull the compressor by unbolting those 4 long ones or you might get away with unbolting it without disconnecting the high/low pressure lines, if your A/C is working, maybe.
Good Luck Pardner

i did them all from underneath didnt remove anything took less than an hour but i do this a lot i used colder plugs like autolite app103 seemed like it helped a lot to me

I got the front two right side plugs from the top, and the rest from underneath. I use a stubby ratchet, easier to manuever but its hard to break the plugs loose since the little ratchet has no torque/leverage.

What you need is a craftsman stubby swivel head wrench (see pic), a universal swivel, and of course the spark plug socket. The stubby wrench makes all the difference - for me it cut the time required by at least half, as I was not wasting time constantly trying to find a way to fit a full size ratchet in there.

I would recommend doing all plugs from below except for the front passenger side plug (which can be reached from above with a long extension). Trying to reach any other plugs from above will just take a long time and result in a lot of arm scrapes. Don't forget to put some anti-seize on the threads.

Attachments

• wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 209
Scott Long said:
I got the front two right side plugs from the top, and the rest from underneath. I use a stubby ratchet, easier to manuever but its hard to break the plugs loose since the little ratchet has no torque/leverage.
The stubby ratchet is about the only way to do it. Also, use the plug anti-seize compound they sell at autozone.. it will make a life a LOT better the next time and save threads, etc. the next time. It shouldn't require more than 10-20 lbs torque with the antiseize.. no antiseize, I'd go no more than 10. If it does, they're too tight.
[And of course, I just notice Rob's comment about the antizeise as I'm typing this]

Also, for those who have never replace the plugs from underneath the car it this way, you have to work by braille and be careful not to knock oil or dirt into the cylinder. Its 10x faster than doing the job from above though.

Back