Old Problems New Thread

mikesc

Before I go any further let me tell you all the mods I have done to my car.

Morana 4.2L Stroker
Stage III Heads (stock cam)
1.8 rockers
Ported exhaust manifolds
Flowmaster res. Dynomax Superturbos
75 MM Edlebrock TB
76 MM MAF (orange tube)
SCP Intake
38 lb injectors
Adjustable FPR
MPII Blower w/10% od pulley
MP High Flow Inlet plenum

I think that's it, I sort of lost track.

Well anyway...as you may know from my previous posts I have just recently got it started. The problem I am having now is timing. When started, it runs better with the spout disconnected than with it connected. In this condition I get a a code 49 which is expected. The koeo code is 11. Now my question is, what do I do about it? My brain is fried!!! Does this mean I need a new DIS or what? As far as I know there wasn't any timing added during the engine build. According to the guy that finally got it started when the spout is connected the timing advances about 8-10 deg. (runs like crap) Is this normal? Do I need to get a EEC Tuner to correct this? I really didn't expect all this aggrevation when I started this project, but it's too late now, megabucks invested.

Thanks,

Mike

With Spout Removed, the system defaults to adjusting timing 10 degrees retarded from whatever it's set point is.

What do you mean runs bad? Can you be more specific.

Have you been making sure you have the right fuel pressure with that adjustable FPR?

I'd say you need to spend some time on a dyno with a qualified technition. Either to get a chip burned, or to create a file for an EEC tuner.

Problems

The first problem is idle. Revs up and down between 600 and 1200 rpm. I have changed the tps (which was bad) and have approx 0.857v w/koeo. I believe the proper voltage is 0.90v. I have checked for vacuum leaks using propane and found nothing. With engine idleing I unplug the IAC it gets worse. The same thing happens when I disconnect the MAF sensor. If either of these were bad the idle would not change. Then there is the pinging, knocking, or whatever you want to call it, it's terrible, the car can be driven but I do not want to. I'm afraid i'll screw something else up. What should be the base timing with the spout disconnected? I cannot find it in either of the manuals I have. It just says "not adjustable" It would be nice to know. I am sure I will need a "chip" but I should be able to make it driveable w/o one. I am unsure what the fuel pressure is. As soon as the fitting I ordered arrives I'll install the fp gauge and find out.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Possible Vacuum Leak

Mike - After I did my MPII upgrade including MP Inlet Plenum, I started it up and it was doing exactly what your saying. Reving up and down at idle. I took apart everything and I found that where the Inlet plenum attach's to the SC the HPF Sealer I used had been sucked into the SC at the bottom. I didn't want to take a chance on using another Sealer or gasket glue so I made up a gasket, put a bit of gasket glue on each side and used it to seal the SC and plenum. That fixed the idle problem.
I know you said you checked the connections with the propane torch. Try and get the propane, if possible, right down to the bottom where the SC and intake plenum meet. If there's a gap there the propane should find it.

Back