Bacis cooling fan questions (pic and questions)

wwwtbirdforumcom

Basic cooling fan questions (pic and questions)

I figured I would start working on the cooling fan issue with our 95 sc. The previous owner wired a switch in and put the switch under the hood... (shown below)

MVC-019F.JPG

We need to open the hood and turn the fan on before driving the car to keep it cool.

To debug (or try to fix) the problem - I reconnected the cut wire from the switch and "jumped" it back to itself (pic below) - this was done by crimping a pices of 12 guage yellow wire to the cut red/black wire that was rigged up to the switch above. Picture of the reconnected wire below.

MVC-018F.JPG

The picture below shows a better view of the patched in wire..

MVC-020F.JPG

Now - before we did anything we flushed and filled the cooling system yesterday and replaced all the belts and even both drivers door hinge pins and bushings (that has nothing to do with the fan though).

I also replaced the ETC sensor figuring that is maybe why the fan was'nt working in the first place which leads to why I reconnected the wires back together to see if the fan would go on by itself -

HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR TEST.

Started the car up and let it idle for about 20 minutes to see if the car would get hot enough to cycle on the fan - during this test - the temp guage went up to the 'L' on normal and the fan never came on :( However after the car was idling for several minutes and the temp was on the N in normal we turned on the ac to max ac - the fan did come on but only at low speed - when we shut off the max ac the fan did not turn of but stayed running at low speed - we shut the car off the stop everything and shut off the ac too. We restarted the car and turned on the max ac again - this time the fan did not turn on at all. we also let the temp build up to L on normal again and no fan - getting nervous about overheating we shut off the car.

I hop someone out there can give us enough pointers to help us get the fan(s) working. The small fan in the front of the condenser never came on either....

Thanks in advance

sincerely
birdman...

Last edited:
Me too

I have the exact problem with my 94 SC. Hope someone out there can help us with an answer other than cut the # 14 wire. Thanks

hey here's an idea...

do either you have a code reader?? or now how to get codes with out a reader??

Cuase right before the EEC starts flashing the light/sending a code it turns on basiclly everything one after the other... Fuel pump, any EEC controled relay, the cooling Fan (low speed and High speed)

I have no idea what EEC the '94/5's have.. so it's up to you guys to find out... but it'll tell you if the fan does work through the EEC and that it may be a input

thats good news - but where do I plug it in - I saw a block on the passenger side that said eec test but did not know how to remove the cover.

Thanks in advance for any additional information youu can give me.

Just pull it up. It's keyed onto a rib that juts out and the cover drops over it. Pick it up, it slides up, the connector drops out.

I had the same problem with my 89. My problem was with the sensor. When I would unplug the sensor the fan would come on and stay on, plug the sensor back in and it would shut right off. I replaced the sensor and it works fine.

wwwtbirdforumcom said:
codes are located in my original post on this topic

Am I missing them completely, or are they not there? What happened when you ran the test with the code reader? Did the fan kick on for a few seconds? Did it go through both speeds?

-Rod

There is a fusable link on the high current fuse panel inside the engine compartment that controls the pusher fan. Its a 30 amp fuse, #16 in the box. Mine was blown and although i replaced it my 94 still does the same thing that you guys describe. I have flushed the coolant and have a 50/50 mix, new 160* thermostat with double felpro gaskets to prevent leaking and both of my fans work and still It gets to the R in 'norm', then I decide to cut my AC on and the temp remails between the N and the O. Im doing research to wire a manual override to the high speed fan and wire it to the 12V switch on a hurst t-handle shifter. Thats until i get an EEC tuner or a chip to have the fans cut on at a much lower temp.

Back