My SC

z9_87

I just ran into a 5.0L out of a 95GT that's extremly cheap. What I want to know is if I can take the superchager off my car (A '92) and put it on the 5L. I checked out Eaton's website (which I beleive is the company that make the SC's for the T-brids right?) and the M90 witch once again i'm assuming is my SC model. If it can be put on the 5.0 will there be much performance increase? Has anyone experimented with this and if it's worth it or not. And last question, how many horses does the SC add to the T-bird LX vs SC model assuming both are 3.8L.

The stock 3.8 is 140hp, 250 tq whereas the SC is 210hp, 315tq. I don't think you will have much luck putting the M90 on the 5.0. Don't bother trying to put the 5.0 in your car either. That is a good way to ruin your car. Not that there is anything wrong with a 5.0, it's just that the electronics are so different that you are looking at a huge project that isn't going to turn out like you think. Don't ask me how I know this.

Some much better options:

Mod the SC and be happy with it.

Sell the SC, find an LX with a 5.0 and ABS. These cars have 4whl discs and ABS. The 5.0 is already wired in, and it would be pretty easy to make it a 5spd if you really want. Transfer the SC body graphics over. I can't emphasize how much better it is to do it this way.

RE:

The 5L comes with the computer, wiring, harness, etc. I'm wondering thogh if that will mess with the ride control, and other little options on the SC that the stang didn't have.

Next, has anyone tried the M90 on a 302? Eaton's website says that it's good for it.
And last the LX is a slow *** engine. So i couldn't possibly do that. The reason I asked this question is to opt to sell the 302 or try to put it in my car.

Well, before you get too excited, the Mustang motor and the Tbird motor are one and the same. Don't forget that the 5.0 has less power than the SC, stock for stock. The only difference in output from the LX Tbird and the Mustang is attributable to the quieter exhaust system.

One of the main reasons that the swap is difficult is that all of the dash functions are integrated into the wiring harness that goes to the computer. For example tach wire, gauge wires, abs wires, vmm wires, a/c wires, cruise control wires, and more. So when you pull the SC computer harness out, a lot of your electronic functions go with it. It is a major chore to sort it all out and get it to work right.

As for putting the m90 on the 5.0, there isn't any kit out there that contains the brackets and pulleys to make it work. You would also need a totally new intake manifold. Being that the M90 is not going to add a whole huge chunk of HP to the 5.0 due to its small size, I would recomend looking for a Kenne Bell kit made for a Mustang and start there. Otherwise it is just not worth the effort and engineering that would be required. If you really don't want to mod the V-6 for more power, then I suggest you look towards a different car.

Putting in a motor that functions independantly of the SC's computer system would be an alternative like what Prostreet Rich has done, but that means ditching the EEC and running either a carb or an aftermarket EFI system, in which case I'd look at either a 351W or something even bigger.

thanks

Ok, thanks, basically I'm gonna sell the 302 on ebay now. But what are some inexpensive mods that give it some more power? Or should I say what mods give the most bang for ur buck?

Back