Gauge Preferences

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
I've got a nice new 3-Gauge A-Pillar pod that's waiting to be installed. The question is what gauges to install? I'm thinking all electric, no mechanical gauges.

What would you choose:

Boost
Fuel Pressure
Water Temp
Oil Pressure
Voltage
A/F Ratio
other?

I also have one sitting in the corner since it arrived two months ago and have wondered the same thing. The only thing I'm sure about is voltage. Please keep us posted on which ones you use.

I have two gauges - oil pressure and water temp, both electric. If I was to get a third it would probably be EGT - right now I have an EGT probe installed and I just use my DMM to read it (more accurate than a gauge, but not as convenient). EGT is a valuable measurement, much more useful than the pretty blinking A/F gauges IMHO. Although I do also have a 10-segment A/F gauge that I built myself - but it's more for quick reference to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.

I would get an air inlet temp gauge. I don't know if anyone here has one or not, but I have been planning on getting one. It would be nice to know what is going on all of the time.

-Steve

Actually, I've been wondering the same thing. I've heard that Air Inlet Temp gauges can get expensive real quick. I was thinking boost and voltage, but a wideband monitor would be cool as hell too.

I just purchased the 3 gauge pod to replace the 2 gauge pod.
Here is what I plan to run, A Boost gauge (the stock one sucks), an Electric Fuel pressure gauge, and a Nitrous pressure gauge. Then I plan to get the volt meter from a NA bird or cougar and slap that on the dash.
I have an air fuel ratio that I am going to sell that,

Just a thought - you need to be able to read the gauges with a quick glance. The Westach gauges look like they have fairly small numbers and pointers, and might be difficult to read. Autometer is really easy to read during the day (not so great at night). VDO is great for night because it has OEM style backlit faces, but it has smaller numbers and is harder to read during the day. Some of the more expensive brands are better all around, but cost several times more than Autometer and are harder to find.

Numbers are all good and fine, but for at a glance, typically Analog gauges rule not because they have big numbers, but because it's all relative.

Relative placement of the needle that is. As long as you can view the relative location of the needle at a glance, most guages are fine.

Though I agree, I'd have to see the quad Westach gauge in person or in a picture to make sure the scale isn't so small that even relative position wouldn't tell you anything.

I'm still playing with the idea of a information display that tracks data from the EEC-IV as well as additional sensors and places it all in one LCD touch screen panel. But that is for the future when I have plenty of time, and a little more money.

If you are going for a more accurate boost gage, you might consider replacing the stock boost gage with the voltmeter from an LX to free up another opening in your pod.

Personally I think the stock coolant temp gage, and the oil pressure gage (with the conversion) are good enough to keep you out of trouble.

So I would go with boost, fuel pressure, and air/fuel in the pod, then do the modification to the oil pressure gage and add the LX voltmeter to the cluster. Then you should be covered with almost everything you want.

Last edited:
There was a group purchase over at TCCoA for the triple pods. Pretty nice pieces that replace the entire A-Pillar cover, there may be a source for new ones but I'm not sure.

I think I'll definately go with boost and fuel pressure.

I like the idea of converting the stock boost gauge to voltage but I kind of like glancing at the boost guage while driving and may not be able to do that in the pod.

To many damned choises......

Back