I cant believe it wont start!

tim

Well after two years of building this car it wont start. When I first tried to start it nothing. My bubby put a scanner on it and it wouldnt even talk to the computer. He ran a wire from the negative battery post to a conection where the scanner plugs in and we got 40 lbs of fuel pressure and spark but still no start. He said it sounds like a computer ground problem. I had a chip on the computer and took it off to see if that made a differance nothing. I am out of ideas. The scanner says everything is ok no codes?

Sure you hooked up the engine ground strap? Also does the engine sound like it is trying to start or nada, zip zilch?

Hi Tim,
Did you get the small ground wire on the passenger side motor mount,
& the large ground wire on the front part of the passenger motor mount.

I cant believe it wont start

I didnt put the large (battery) wire on the engine mount but did ground it to the engine. missed the small one completly. Can I run a ground from the engine to the body or frame? I sure hate to have to pull the bolts on the motor mounts. It popped thru the headers a couple of times and that is about it. Tim

The battery ground connection should have a jumper wire connected to the frame right at where the battery is mounted. You can see the wire in the picture below right next to where the hood stop should be.

Then there should be a wire from the frame to the forward bolt on the motor mount bracket on both the left and right side of the motor.

It shouldn't be hard to add strong wire there and you will only have to take the top bolt off that mount stud. Not remove the bolt from the block.

Also, you might review some of the tests in the document I wrote up on figuring out the No Start condition on the SC motor. There is a link to it below:

bentfrontexample.jpg

DIS No Start Troubleshooting

Thanks for the information. I had the wrong negative battery cable. The factory cable has a ground for the computer and I didnt have the right cable. Ford said to ground the connection to the negative battery cable. I am going out right now to give it a try. Tim

Thanks for all the diagrams and info. I talked to the local speed shop that built my engine and he will work on it next week. This stuff is way over my head. Tim

Back