got a 99 focuc intake. 2 more psi of boost! long!!

SCboost

i went to my local "ricer" shop to see what intakes would fit my car. a 99 focus happen to fit just great. so i went on ebay, the shop said 130 for a sprayed silver one and im not about to pay anywhere near 130 for a freakin piece of metal and a crappy filter, and got one for $26.99. thats where its at right there. niced cheap polisehd piece of aluminium. it fit perfect. had to get another black cup-link but oh well. 14.99 down the drain. anyway it looks made for the car. fits sweet. little bit long but it keeps my filter away from the radiator so its good. and places it right in the corner. i took the car for a drive and was quite happy with the nice new supercharger sound i was hearing. after a few little pulls in 1st and 2nd i looked down and noticed i was boosting at over 10 now. before i didn't get past the "I" in PSI on the gauge. NEVER got past it. i thought my car was pullin a bit harder. got squirly in 1st with my 255 BFG's and i was like hmmm must just be my imagination. its just a cheap intake ya know. but it does seem to pulla tit bit harder. looks nicer too. that ugly black rubber thing was buggin me all day long and hauntin me in my sleep. : ) sorry for the long post. im just excited. and wanted to tell someone who would care. email me or PM me if you want pics if you want to do this little cheapo mod. i would post online but it never works for me. i always mess it up somehow. thanks for lettin me express my excitement. steve.

Here are the PICs'

I will host some pics for you if you have no way to do so yourself...

What is the inside diameter of the tube you got then? If it is 3" I would consider this...

Brad

cudaz101@yahoo.com

Focusintake-008F.jpg

Focusintake-009F.jpg

Notafocus010F.jpg

BTW...Nice SC

Last edited:
Which Focus intake?

Which one did you get, I know they have a SOHC version and one that will fit a DOHC one, any idea which one it was cause I am gonna try it for the heck of it.

huge k&N

i understand using the new tube,but where did you get that huge k&n,how did you att. it to the maf?

i got my massive K&N from my local REAL car shop. a drag shop. good place. for like $45. it was the only size i could use to fit the stock MAF. i don't know how many MM the filter is. but it slides on VERY easy so i cranked the clamp down. i hope it works when i get a new 76mm C&L MAF. if not i'm going to be bummed. i will proly heat it up and use some "goop" to make it slide on if it won't. as for the PCV valve. if you are talking about the vacuum hose that connects to the intake i haven't figured that one out yet. it's at a funny angle. my car seems to be runnin fine thus far. I'm on day 2 with it. the tube IS 3". i used 3" cuplinks. and they fit nice and snug. i wish i had posted better pics so people could see just how perfect it routes around things. the first pic shows that if you cock your head to hte right at a 45* angle. haha. but thats a lot of work.

im happy with it though. people look when i get on it from WAY far away now. like i have a freakin jet plane motor because it whines nice now!!!

thanks!

WOW, this is the best "Find" I've seen in a while. Thanks for experimenting man. I'll actually try this since I'm on a budget. take care! L8a.:)

Well Actually...

There was a guy on the board a few years back, or so it seems that long ago...He must no longer frequent the board...But he was using a Focus CAI and caught alotta chit for it by a select few members here...I am pretty sure the one he was using was a 2.5" rather than the 3.0"....So not to steal the guys thunder or anything...But I am sure there are others that remember him...

Brad

Last edited:
Well...

If I remember right it was simply because it was a FOCUS Part fitted to an SC...Regardless I thought it was a pretty nice lil find as long as you could run 2.5" tube without compromising flow. That is why I was asking if it was a 3" tube...

Brad

it seems to me that the faster velocity from a 2.5" intake would outweight the greater volume of a 3" intake, at least on a stock or near stock engine...

just my $0.02

Yes thats right...Jerry wouldn't or couldn't post any pictures and many people thought he was full of BS.

I've got small block Chevy rods, Oldsmobile valves, an air dam from a 92 Grand AM and IMO one of the best looking trunk mounted spoilers I've seen for an SC comes off an 84 Trans AM. It doesn't matter what these parts were intended for, so long as they work.

Nice find on the Focus intake tube, I would suggest drilling a hole and installing a barbed hose fitting to attach your PCV system breather hose. Without the hose attached, the air it pulls in won't be metered resulting in a slightly lean condition.

David

Back