AOD seals

hytorksc

Can anyone point me to a thread or otherwise for step instructions on how to change front transmission seals? I think mine is bleeding pretty badly now- driving up the highway is embarrasing now with that stinky cloud of burning hydralic fluid on the cats. While i'm in there i might as well install a decent higher stall converter. any recomendations?

thanks-

pump seal? i'm thinking it's the inner seal that's inside the bell housing where the transmission shaft couples to the converter and engine. looks like alot of fluid coming out of that rubber cover where you drain the torque converter. i can't seem to find a leak anywhere else. it's not dripping to the ground though, it just gets all over the exhaust and burns- comes out when i'm running at 60mph or more when it's hot.

It could only be the pump seal or the two seals that go on the torque converter shat that goes inside the pump. take out and see what it looks like. is not hard to change eithyer one

superloop-

i think i may have found the trouble. i took a closer look at the transmission and the leak/spillage was only on the passenger side. so i wiped down the cats (where the fluid was burning), the dipstick tube, and some other parts, took it for another test drive, looked under there again and found the leak.

it was coming from the dipstick tube, running all the way down from the top. i also noticed that the tube was a little loose at the bottom where it meets the transmission (don't think it's supposed to be loose, but there's no way to tighten it). i took the dipstick out and tightened the rubber bushing on the flange that seals the top of the tube, and pushed it back in- it fits snugly, and sealed the top. hopefully this was the only problem.

i was also wandering if i may have overfilled the AOD with transmission fluid. could that cause an overspillage when the fluid gets hot enough?- boiling out thru the top of the dipstick or thru the bottom vent of the AOD? again all the spillage was on the passenger side outside of the transmission only- none of it seemed to come from the inside.

Last edited:
Yes if you overfill it, it will try to come out through the dipstick seal if the seal is bad or it will go up higher and come out from the top of the dipstick.
So no more leaks? cool

Back