M5R2 Rebuild (A-Folking-Gain)!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Ok, so I have a habit of abusing my 5-spd! Last time I put Brass Syncros in it. After they got broke in, they shifted nicely.

Now I broke something else in the tranny. No gear crunch when I shift, but something is definately not where it suppose to be. I have metal-on-metal rubbing in all gears EXCEPT 4th. I suspect that 4th is ok, cuz that's 1:1 straight through the tranny. No gears involved. The metal rubbing is worse under load, or engine braking. Makes me think it's something like a thrust bearing, if the tranny even has something like that.

When the OEM fiber blockers went out, the tranny would grind when it was shifted. No grinding with the brass blockers, just this metal rubbing.

Oh, Yeah, it happened at the strip when I was speed shifting it.

Anybody have any ideas on how to toughen-up the M5R2? This time when the tranny comes out, it's getting an alum. flywheel & Ford Motorsport (or what ever they call themselves today) pressure plate / clutch disk.

As much money as these semi-annual rebuilds are costing me, I'm seriously considering a T-56 replacement. I dunno how well they stand up to draggin', but they certainly can't be any worse than the M5R2.

68COUGAR

I got mine from Luchetti Auto, they warranty them for 1 year and use brass blockers. I think I paid 850 total with shipping. Contact Ron at 800 324 8960. They were pretty decent when I dealt with them. Only bad thing was that my tranny case was painted grey instead of the nice metal finish. With a year warranty I guess you could just keep breaking it. :)

I went through two or three before I found this guy.

$850 for a rebuild kit? Wow. What kind of promises did they make? This thread is going in the Favorites list.

not for a kit, for the whole tranny. Shipped right out to your door. And they will call ups when your ready for them to pick up your old one.

Hmm.. Every time I run this engine 1000rpm past read line it blows up. Damn faulty engine. ;)

Sounds like you either need to toughen that transmission up, or find a different way to drive it. Otherwise you'll have a great FAQ for us here on the SCCOA on "What not to do with your 5speed transmission". Though I would think the process of elimination is getting pricey.

All jokes aside, that transmission is not really a good one for beating on. Our torque outputs are nearing it's design max and if you don't baby it a bit, the thing bites you.

Swapping another tranny in there has always been an idea but no one seems to have brought it off yet. The shifter location is the main issue it seems.

My first couple trannies were all demolished by myself, too no fault of the tranny. It wasn't made to shift fast or hard and I did both. I broke all the "linkage rods", bent the input shaft, took out syncros, split a gear cluster apart and took teeth off of every gear cluster in the tranny. All of that damage was from one really hard shift from 3rd to 4th....Well that was the shift that finally broke the linkage rods.

The next time I missed a shift at 5500 and took out 3rd gear syncros and the front bearing was getting exssesive play in it. So then I got one from the Luchetti Auto. The brass blockers help slow you down a little bit. Then i realized that the car is not that much faster when speed shifted, it is just fun to do. So i started to just shift normal but a little faster when racing and it worked fine like that. Bottom line, don't beat on it. :)

Back