Running Too Rich???

Kris

my car smokes black on startup(takes a while to start, then black smoke for a sec) and i think when i get hard on the gas it smokes black also. i get ****** gas milage(maby 200 miles a tank?). anyone know what this could be?

the check engine light comes on after a while of driving also but does not stay on and i cant get a code for it.

Sure your coolant level is up to snuff? If too low the ECT is uncovered and effectively reads a low temp. and the EEC puts you into open loop cold start strategy.

Also given the miles ever changed your ECT Sensor? Same reasoning above.

Sure your PCV system is working properly? Have you done a cylinder balance test? Misfiring plugs or leaky injectors could give you the symptoms you describe.

That is ECT not ETC. ECT= Engine Coolant Tempeture Sensor. The one for the computer is on the passenger side forward corner of the intake manifold.

Kris,

Mine acted the same way when the Fuel Pressure Regulator was leaking fuel into the vacuum line which dumped fuel into the intake manifold. That can be tested very quickly by installing a pressure gauge on the rail and turning the ignition on (don't start it) to see if it's holding pressure after the pump shuts off in a few seconds.

If it is losing pressure it could be also be a stuck open or leaky injector. The regulator can be checked by pulling the vacuum hose to see if it has fuel in it, the injectors are a little more involved. I would try a few bottles of injector cleaner before pulling them.

David

Back