Will an exhaust from a stick fit an auto?

Edman1000

I found a custom exhaust off of a '91 bird with a 5 speed. I am wondering if it will fit under my '90 cougar?

Anybody know for sure?

I can't say for sure on the early cars, but I think so.

When I swapped out my Auto for the 5-speed on the '94, I only had one slight problem fitting the exhaust back. The hangers from the resonater to the trans bracket were too long on the Auto and were hitting the 5-speed case, I cutt off about an inch and the rest was fine. As far as the pipes fitting, no problem at all.

I think that auto to 5-speed you would be OK, but 5-speed to auto, there could be some clearance issues around the tranny. I believe the auto trans takes up more space than the 5-speed. If it was custom built for the 5-speed, it could be too close to the auto.

Not sure this one has an answer, especially since it is a custom exhaust, without actually trying it on the car.

Good point George.

You might want to measure the width of your trans in the oil pan area, and measure the distance between the pipes in this area and make sure they are far enough apart. I think that is the area where the biggest difference is in transmission dimensions. The bellhousing area is about the same, as is everything from the trans crossmember back.

Back