Drivers side cat making noise

92SCDoughboy

I just swapped from my cats to the resonator with a friend, the cats are practiacally brand new, and the drivers side is making a noise and some low RPMS, we figure its one of the beads inside came lose, I odn;t hear it all the time, but its really annoying when I do.

Just wondering if the bead will come out on its own, or settle in place. Or is it possible to take it out some other way. I just don;t want to buy a new one if I don;t have too. Money is tight.

Probably just broke a weld on the heat shield. If you take a look at them you will probably find it easy. It should even be able to be fixed with some JB Weld.

hopefully its a heat shield
but when my stock cats went-the drivers side exploded and made a rattling sound which was most noticable at idle and low rpms--if this applies you can hollow them or replace
g/l

I believe the Ford SC cats are the brick or honeycomb type and not the pellet type. (Sound like GM, LOL) If you have a rattle inside the converter, you have a bad converter.

A large worm type clamp can also be put around the heat shield, if it is rattling.

If the brick inside breaks up badly enough it can severly restrict the exhaust flow. Not good, especially on a supercharged car.

I just sold and installed my engine into an SC with a blown motor. Like yours, the driver side cat was making a strange noise after I started it up. I cut that cat with some pipe from my parts car for him to get installed and told him to not go into boost until he got it welded on, in 3 days. When he cut the noisy 1 out and turned it on end, a lot of the honeycomb parts fell out. He also said that he could not pass the emissions test but I think it also may have been the reason he blew the original engine. I'll give you the same advice, stay off the gas peddle until you get it dealt with, performance will most likely be down anyways, or it may cost you your engine. Good luck

forgot to mention, the cats I am using are not FORD oem, they are after market, but i will look into some of your suggestions.

thx everyone

Back