Wheel technical question??

kamakazie_1

Does anybody know what the offset is on the 17x9 Cobra rims with the TBird lug pattern??

I would like to go on the search of the Motorsports R 280 wheel with the 5 on 4.25 lug pattern for the Birds. I just want to make sure if I find one with the right lug pattern that the offset isn't way out of the ball park..

Thanks

RJ

The ones that are patterned after the actual Cobra "R" wheels that fit the late model 'Stangs (SN95) have a 36mm offset and a 6.42" backspacing.

Thanks George, you think those will fit OK on our birds?? I found a couple of places.. One of them wants $280 each for them in chrome... I really do like the looks of those rims, I'm going to continue to look around..

Mororsports 280 R Wheels

RJ

A lot of people run them with 245 series tires. The 89-92 spindles have more clearance than the 93-95 ones and you could run a bigger tire. I have seen 275s on those rims all around on a 92 Sport. Tire clearance is not as much an issue in the rear.

I ran the 17x9 Cobra "R"s for a time with 255/50/17 tires. I had to trim the end off the upper ball joint and run a 3/16" spacer to clear the late model spindles. So that rim works out well with the proper tire size.

Try a search on "cobra and tire" or "cobra and rim", that should yield some earlier posts on the tire and wheel combos that people have used.

I was going to put them on my 95, the 35th is going to be rebuilt as stock as I can get it, I want an original show car and thats the one I'm going to use..

The 95 is going to be the daily driver Zoom-Zoom that I can afford kind of vehicle.. I'll do a search and see if I can get some more thoughts out there...

Thanks George...

did you get my email day before yesterday??

RJ

gldiii said:
If it was the one about hosting your meet pictures, I got it and replied!

Really, I hadn't seen the reply... I think I sent that from the office email account, sometime we don't see replys till several hours afterwards on that office internet mail account... I think our email gateway get's bogged down... Let me see if it comes in tonight or tomorrow...

Thanks again,

RJ

Back