Egr Valve ???

90fastcat

Hey guys, recently got the check engine light on my 90 xr7 auto. The scanner read the egr valve code. From what I have read, the 90 auto isn't supposed to have it. I checked myself and believe I have located it with the help of some previous posts. I will take some pics and post them to make sure. If anybody knows, how big a job is it to replace the valve, and how do you check the silicone line at the bottom of the valve?:cool:

Do your self a favor....

Don't waste your time replacing it. Unless you have emissions testing where you are located, specifically testing for NOx emissions, just delete it. Put a gasket with no hole between the old valve and the SC intake, and call it a day. You should NOT get a check engine light, although your computer will store a code for the EGR system. I did this on my 89SC 5-speed because I broke the "flex" tubing on the pipe (which should have never had any flex tubing on it, damn Ford engineers) while removing the bad EGR valve. I tried as hard as I could to get the EGR tube off the manifold in order to replace it, but it would not budge. I finally said screw it, even after I bought the new valve, and just mad my own gasket (with no hole), left the tube off the new valve, capped off the tube with a metal cap, and was done with it.

I got my car inspected a few days ago, and it passed emissions testing with flying colors!! I don't think they test for NOx levels though, but regardless. I got it tested right after I had all of my exhaust done (new hi-flow cats included).

Good luck

Phil

Back