Tranmission Lines. Which ones the return?

91BLOWNSC

Trying to install my tranny cooler, but I dont' know which of the lines is the return. Can anyone lend me a hand? I was thinking the line closest to the intercooler was the return.

I can't help you at the radiator, but if you trace a line back to the transmission, the return line is beneath the hot one.

Yeah I tried tracing it, but I can't tell if they change when they run by the engine. I can't see that much. :(

A really easy way to figure it out is to remove one line hold a rag over the end of it and another rag over the fitting that it threads into on the radiator. Have someone else start the car, then shut it off after a second or two. If the rag on the radiator has fluid on it, that's the return line. If the rag on the line has fluid on it, that's the feed line.

-Rod

hmmm.

I just might have to try that. I just thought after all the tranny coolers installed, that SOMEONE would just know which one is which LOL.

Well, this same question pops up over at tccoa all of the time, and there is usually an argument over which line is which, so I just suggest this method. It's pretty simple, and then you'll know for sure which line is which.

-Rod

It also doesn't help when people find the answer to their question, but for whatever reason, don't post it. Let's see.....which radiator port (driver or pass) goes to the tranny return (bottom) port? My searches using various tags have found "driver's side" and "passenger's" side ports as the answer, so no luck with that. I'd try the "learn-by-doing" method, but I have no "originally stock" set-up to test. Maybe I should assume I have it configured wrong and just switch the fittings? The tranny temp can't get much worse than the 230deg/f I saw yesterday! :eek: :eek: :eek:

to trace it, you can unbolt one of the lines at the radiator, sit under the car, and tug it back and forth or shake it. you will see the line shake and move on the other side of the k member.

Back