1990 SC/1993 LX interchangability

nutopia

hey,

for testing purposes, does anyone know off the top of their head if the headlamp switch and multifunction switch from a 1990 SC would fit a 1993 LX? obviously there's the auto-headlamp thing to worry about, but i'm just concerned with figuring out which is faulty. i'd rather not replace parts that aren't broken. if i could use the parts from my old SC to diagnose the problem, i'd be a lot less concerned with what i tried to replace first (even though the headlamp switch is only 15 bucks, it's 15 bucks i wouldn't have to spend if i knew it was the multifunction switch).

thanks,
-chris

It should fit for testing, hope its the switch because the MFS costs lots more, but it should fit as well, since you already know about the auto-dim issue. Good luck

speaking of headlight issues, i have one......

when i turn off my brights, sometimes the dims dont come back on until i wiggle the MFS.... im like 90 percent sure this is the MFS causing the problem and not something else....

will an MFS from a junk 89-93 lx work, and how do you install it

ive had the column off but i dont really know how to get the mfs off.

pdennis,

that's the exact problem i had - in a week or two jiggling the MFS switch isn't going to fix it anymore and if you want to drive the car you're going to have to drive around with your high beams on because the low beams WILL NOT come on. i'd advise you take advantage of the time your low beams are still working and get it taken care of ASAP..

that's the same reasoning i've had in believing it's the MFS on my car and not the headlamp switch.

anyway, as for how to remove the MFS, just browse recent posts, someone goes into pretty good detail on how to remove it..

good luck,
-chris

Replacing the MFS is a 10min job, unclip the plastic ring behind the steering wheel, remove 3 phillips screws for the column cover, 2 little bolts on the MFS 5.5mm (I think), unclip the wiring harnesses and you're done. Personally, I think all Ford MFS switches are almost the same with just minor differences like some have the e-flasher, auto-dim on them, and length of the arm. The 1 w/o auto-dim is black/green, with auto-dim is black/blue, some are all black etc. but the design & bolts are the same. Good luck

the ongoing saga of my headlights

refresh: 1993 LX. my low beams didn't work. they would come on SOMETIMES if i flicked the brights on and off, but lately they weren't even doing that. i figured it was the MFS because they had been coming on after the brights were played around with.

update: i took the MFS out of my 1990 SC "parts" (read: junk) car. it didn't solve the problem. however, i did realize that the actual CONNECTOR attached to the wiring in the LX that controls the headlamps had a large melted burn mark. so, pushing all logic aside, i decided to chop off the connectors from the SC and the LX, and connect the SC's to the LX. it didn't do anything bad (thankfully), but it also didn't solve the problem. i put the LX switch back in, still nothing. i put my steering column back together and accepted the fact that i'll have to screw around with my brights for a few more days.

now, can anyone give me any input on what i should do? first off, is the little wiring job i did a *really* bad idea? second, is there ANY way that the headlamp switch itself (the pull/push one in the instrument panel) might still be at fault? i think i've phased it out, but you guys know much more than i do. should i try and replace the MFS with a completely new one? i wanted to save that as 'last resort' because it's about a hundred bucks.

please, any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-chris

If it looks bad, it is bad. All of the power to the lights go through both the light switch & MFS and over heating is the known problem. I'd start with a new or known good light switch b/c they are a lot cheaper than the MFS, test everything. Then if you still have the problem, get a new MFS. I tried a used MFS once, the lights worked fine but it wouldn't wash my windows when I pushed in on the button. Good luck

Back