What do you guys think of my New DIS Heat sink !!

SuperCoupeSC91

Took a couple heat sinks at work, drilled a couple wholes on top
of my bracket (Because my brother bought the 94-95 one instead of the 89-93 a couple years ago) now all of my DIS is going to release the heat, unlike before it was partially on metal on the top... Think people might want to buy these?? My brother said he would get a 1 piece Heat sink made and have it fit out cars if I get enough buyers...(I was also thinking of making an extended wiring harness to mount it maybe in the fender or on the side of the engine compartment, away from heat) what do you guys think ?

Look in the folder "Custom Mods" at
http://community.webshots.com/user/supercoupe

I have given this some thought and what you are doing isn't bad.

What you want to do is isolate the DIS from the engine heat. After you have done that then you want to have your new heatsink disapate the heat away from the DIS. On the stock setup, the engine is 200 degrees the DIS is 200 degrees. What we want to achieve is something lower than engine temp.

I would flip the DIS over and use standoffs to isolate the DIS from the A/C bracket then mount a heatsink to the DIS.

I am planning on doing this as soon as i can find the right heatsink.

Jerry

Im using a heat sink from cpu

its a neat little cpu heat sink has a small fan on it clears hood pics soon, on my webshots .

Have you tried putting a peice of phenolic board between the DSI.
and or the DSI the heat sink.

I have been wanting to try a peice of phenolic board.

Or extend the wire loom and bolt the DIS farther away from the heat source.

I would buy a longer wire loom,if you choose to make one

RANDY

Good Idea

Not a bad idea I may take my old Pentium 2 apart It has a dual fan unit on it .

I like the wing who makes it?

Shockwave said:
I have given this some thought and what you are doing isn't bad.

What you want to do is isolate the DIS from the engine heat. After you have done that then you want to have your new heatsink disapate the heat away from the DIS. On the stock setup, the engine is 200 degrees the DIS is 200 degrees. What we want to achieve is something lower than engine temp.

I would flip the DIS over and use standoffs to isolate the DIS from the A/C bracket then mount a heatsink to the DIS.

I am planning on doing this as soon as i can find the right heatsink.

Jerry
Actually, someone here (Dale possibly?) made a 1" standoff and measured the temps before and after and found that just by allowing an airstream to pass under the DIS, it ran 10-20 degrees cooler :cool: :cool: So, my opinion is thats probably good nuff. I think the A/C bracket temps are less than 200, but still a bit too hot for electronics. So while a heat sink is better, its probably not essential. And any heatsink which increases the surface exposed to the cooling air will work. Try Radioshack or one of the computer parts stores such as Altex.

Just make sure the two screws on the bottom part of the DIS have good contact to steel as they are used for internal grounding of the unit.

Two years ago

I came up with the one inch stacker two years ago during the great dis shortage. There were even some pic's posted of it and some of the temps that were recorded.. You got to get air around that thing to get it to live. The whole thing cost something like $10.00 to do and it really works. Glad to see that someone else is tring this....Rich

Got 1" stand off's and extending my wiring harness

Got 1" stand off's and extending my wiring harness to relocate it to where the airbox is so i can mount it on the side of the fender wall i guess..will take pics when done..

Back