help me fix this ugly fender gap!

bigcletus94

I installed Eibach springs (couple months ago) and it gave me the right stance I wanted except that the passenger side rear had 1/2 inch more fender gap than the driver side. So I decided to try switching the left spring with the right spring to see if the gap would switch with the spring, assuming that the spring was bad some how. After switching them, the gap not only stayed on the passenger side, but it increased to 3/4 inch gap!! This is BS. And it looks like ***. All I can think of is that my control arm or something has to be messed up for this to happen. I am thinking about cutting up the spring or the isolaters ( or removing them) to level it out. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help.

I definitely wouldn't cut on the new spring. You could take it to a shop and have a good four wheel alignment done. A few of the bolts have cams on them to make adjustments such as height, camber, etc. Did you mark the position of these cams before removing the bolts? Did you remove the bolts that hold the control arm to the subframe when you installed the springs?

-Rod

What do you mean by "load the suspension"?

I had a four wheel alignment done after I installed the springs the first time and I couldn't tell any difference. I only removed the strut bolts, upper control arm to the spindle I think, and the sway bar bolt. I didnt mark any bolts or notice any adjustable bolts. Is there something else I could have missed?

probably should have said preloaded, not loaded.

If you tighten down the bolts with the wheel off the ground, the suspension won't sit right when you set it down. This is because the rubber bushings won't allow the parts to turn, the rubber will just preload.

You need to have the car on the ground before you tighten every thing down to make sure nothing binds up.

Mike8675309 said:
probably should have said preloaded, not loaded.
You need to have the car on the ground before you tighten every thing down to make sure nothing binds up.
Yup.. Better yet, when the car is on jackstands, after you tighten the bolts up some, use a 2nd jack under the lower control arm and raise the suspension until the car just starts to lift off the jackstand, then finish torquing the bushing bolts.

Re: Fender gap

It is my understanding that the rear swaybar links need to be shortened in order for them to not bind and create the gap problem you talk about. Why don't you disconnect them temporarily and see if they are causing your problem?
SonySC@hotmail.com

Back