long tube header experiment

Slysc

I got a set of Mustang 3.8 Mac Long tube headers and I intend to modify them to fit the supercoupe.

The passenger side bolts right up with no modification.
The driver side has a real hard interferance with the rear tube and probably is too close to the front and middle tubes as well.

headers%20vs%20steering2.jpg

I'll be checking out whether or not I'll be able to heat and bend them or if I'll have to cut and reweld them.

headers%20vs%20steering.jpg

I'll let you know of my progress as I figure this one out.

Probably will give an update on Monday or Tuesday cause I'll be camping all weekend.

I know SupercatXR7 has already done this with the intermediate length (or shortys). How long are the primary tubes on the long tube ones?

Jeff

how long?

The long tube headers have collectors that end near the middle of the transmission.

Dan, I'd really like to stop by and see this. I work in Milford, so I could meet you one evening, if you don't mind.

I remember Mark (supercatXR7) saying he actually had a set of long tubes, but they were nowhere near fitting. But it looks as though you have pictures of them semi-installed......

long tube headers

Sure, stop by sometime. I'm on the west side of the GM proving grounds.

The reason they are installed in the pictures is that I've disconnected the steering rod. I wouldn't have been able to get them in if the steering rod was in.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting the long tubes, but I got the MAC shorties instead. Now I've found that after cutting down the flange and denting the collector, it still only has about 1/16" clearance to the steering in places. That's too close for comfort so now I'm going to have to cut the primaries and bend the header so it runs closer to the block. I think it's because of the solid mounts, the engine sits higher than stock. With stock mounts it probably would clear fine. Anyway, I'm going to be kicking myself if the long tubes would have fit with the same amount of work...

Re: long tube headers

Slysc said:
Sure, stop by sometime. I'm on the west side of the GM proving grounds.

Sheesh, You ARE close. I work at MPG. I could stop by tonight, or next week if you are busy packing up tonight. I've got your number now if you want to delete it off the internet.

MPG

Stomping grapes huh? I didn't see that description in "Orgchart".

There are 4 Andys at MPG and a handful of Andrews.

Not going to fit on the drives side. Been there tried that. All three tubes are in the way of the steering shaft. I cut the drives side pipes to try and relocate them but it did not allow enough clearance. It's not impossible just not very easy unless you can custom bend 3 new primaries. I took pictures but towards the end it got really ugly. I have a passengers side long tube if anyone is interested!

long tube mustang headers

I ordered some mandrel bends and they should be in on Monday.

The fun will begin then!

good luck.........

But, I agree with rich on this one. Three tubes need to be totally rerouted, but yes the passenger side is fine. Hopefully you can come up with something that will work.
mark

Re: long tube mustang headers

Slysc said:
I ordered some mandrel bends and they should be in on Monday.

The fun will begin then!

Hey Dan, this might be a stupid question, but has anyone called MAC to see why they won't jig up one header and have a new product line to introduce there. With the passenger side being Ok the way those are, the drivers side shouldn't be that much for them to mod should it??

Seems to me if we could insite enough interest they might just fix the design on the one header for the SC and solve a "cost VS competition" problem we have out there in our world. I absolutely refuse to do the kooks no matter how pretty they are, and I just don't have the time to monkey around with these mods to make stuff work..

I would love to have a set of long tubes on both of mine here.. What size is the collector on those??

RJ

I approached MAC about this approximately 3 years ago about this with a petition of over 80 names and they basically laughed at me. Long story short, the exact words from the rep were "we are so busy with the mustang stuff, particulary intakes, that the SC doesnt represent a significant sales figure for it to be a viable avenue of persuit" In other words, we arent worth the time to make such little money in their eyes :rolleyes:

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
I approached MAC about this approximately 3 years ago about this with a petition of over 80 names and they basically laughed at me. Long story short, the exact words from the rep were "we are so busy with the mustang stuff, particulary intakes, that the SC doesnt represent a significant sales figure for it to be a viable avenue of persuit" In other words, we arent worth the time to make such little money in their eyes :rolleyes:

Paul

I wonder how they'd react now with the economy so much in the dumper?? Do you still have the same contact over at MAC, can we try it again??

To bad we can't get like all the members of the board to make noise. With as large of an organization as this is you'd think we could unite and make some waves..

RJ

mayber someone can talk to George and see if we can get a sticky put on top of the forum to generate interest. i'm sure there are quite a few people that would want a cheaper alternative to kook's. i know i would be interested.

Hello, I do not know how to "link" another thread from another website but there is a person modifing a set of macs for his mark8
(similar chassis to ours, with the same steering shaft issue, same big-time lack of room)
He has very good pictures and great help.
www.mark8.org
then to the "mark viii"
then to "driveline"
pan down to "mac headers completed"
He goes by "ponyfreak"..he has built two awsome mark 8's
good luck!!
clyde

Back