SC AOD - 5.0 AOD swap

T

tbird50sport

Hello, I own a 92 Tbird Sport 5.0 with 180,000 miles on it and the AOD has seen better days. I don’t have tons of cash so I saw a good price on a 90 SC AOD trans @ my local Yard and I would like to know if there would be problems with swapping it? Also what should I look for when looking at it to make sure it’s from a SC. The reason for the interest in the SC trans is because I was told it was a much better trans with the type "A" OD servo and more clutches and other goodies. So ANY info on this would help. I’m picking it up tomorrow so if anyone can tell me ASAP that would be Great!

(later added..........)

Well i ended up getting the trans, now i got a few questions....

What the diff. in the tourqe converter in the SC trans and the 5.0 trans. Can i use either or?

What should i look out for when doing the swap?

I picked up new rear main oil seal and front and rear trans seals because its just a good idea to do since the trans will be off the car.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Well, SC tanny does have the "A" servo but I think that is the only diff. I also think the tail of the tranny on a Mustang is shorter. You may have to switch it with your old Mustang one. The convertor will be fine to use, I know it is about 1500 stall and very efficient for a stock one at that.

The SC trans will bolt up with no problems. I pulled a trans from a 90 SC and put it into my friends 90 Mustang 5.0 last weekend, and it went smoothly.

who said mustang?

Who said anything about a mustang-If 'm not mistaken he said he had a t bird sport-not a mustang-lol. I may be crazy-if so disregard my mutterings.

Re: who said mustang?

Charkly said:
Who said anything about a mustang-If 'm not mistaken he said he had a t bird sport-not a mustang-lol. I may be crazy-if so disregard my mutterings.
All I said was, I took a trans from a SC and put it into a 5.0 Mustang. From that, you would assume sicne the T-bird body is the same, and it would bolt up to the 5.0 motor with no problem, that it would fit.

Anyway

I have a tranny out of a 5.0 stang in my XR-7, works great just make sure you adjust the TV cable properly.

Anybody looking for a burnt up AOD? It would make a good core tranny...or a rebuildable. Free to a good home,
I'm outside of detroit.

Back