Removal of STARTER BOLTS

FearThis SC

I got one for ya, Starter bolts, upper and lower, they have given me a Show Stopper because that is one of the last few steps in order to pull the transmission.

I had tried a 1/2" socket and wrench, both 12point and 6point, but seemed to be a lil too small. So I tried a 13mm and it seems to fit with just a lil play. A 12mm is too small just like the 1/2", close but just a lil too small. These starter bolts were impacted on with way to much torque from FORD, original starter as far as I can tell!

So when we used the 13mm, the heads started to get boogied up......we even tried using a 6point 13mm will no success. Tried metiwrenches, in various sizes, but the bolt is getting chewed up!

With everything we try, we just seems to make them worst!
Any Suggestions......

Calvin

Worst case scenario...if the 6-point socket or wrench don't get it then there really ain't many options once it's rounded.

Options...
Use a cold chisel to knock the head off the lower bolt and maybe that will relieve the stress on the upper bolt enuff to remove it.
Try washing the head off the lower bolt with a torch. While you're at it, wash the head off the upper bolt too.
Only other thing I can think of is to grab a socket and MIG weld it onto the lower bolt. Sure hope that upper bolt gives.

'bird

I guess another option would be to take a Die Grinder and grind them off. Cold chisel is a very good idea, we had thought of that but I need to get a good chisel. I sure hope I can get these dam bolts out, a serious SHOW STOPPER! So close, but yet so FAR.......like everything else with an SC!

Thanks,
Calvin

Might be time to fetch yer mojo, light some candles, and ask Madam Laveau to help ya out!

deja voodoo...

'bird

tbird88 said:
deja voodoo...

'bird
Yeah, I need something to get them out. I don't think I would have much success with that VooDooooo, but ya never know.

As far as using a torch, I don't think that would have much success either, since the clearance isn't suited for that.

Calvin

another idea

I don't know if this will work or not (but may be worth a try). I've seen a set of sockets designed to remove "rounded-off" bolts advertised on TV. They are made by craftsman (one of those products Bob Villa is always pushing) and have some sort of "cutting" blades that bite into the bolt head instead of the normal socket points.
Maybe a set of those and a good soaking of the bolt with penetrating oil will do the trick.....

Just a thought

I had the same problem.Nothing would fit.NOT american wrench,
no metric wrench fit,So I thought must be bolts from MARS.

I went though every wrench socket that looked that size.
Then the last one i tried was an old worn out 1/2 about
50 years old,took it right off.

Re: another idea

LJGriggs said:
They are made by craftsman (one of those products Bob Villa is always pushing) and have some sort of "cutting" blades that bite into the bolt head instead of the normal socket points.
I was thinking of that last night, but the only thing is that I don't know if it will take off a bolt that is impacted by a freight train. Those bolts ARE WAY tooo TIGHT.....

Do you remember what they call it, going to call SEARS.

Calvin

Randy & Connie said:
I had the same problem.Nothing would fit.NOT american wrench,
no metric wrench fit,So I thought must be bolts from MARS.

I went though every wrench socket that looked that size.
Then the last one i tried was an old worn out 1/2 about
50 years old,took it right off.
LUCKY SOB! :D

I'm going to PUKE...........

Calvin

Craftsman "Bolt-Out"

I just looked it up on the Sears website. They have several different sets. The basic set is about $20.00 and they also have what they call "Impact Grade" (I guess this is for use with an impact wrench) set for about $50.00

I think I would give the bolts a good dose of liquid wrench to help break up any corrosion thats bonding the threads together before using these sockets....

Re: Craftsman "Bolt-Out"

LJGriggs said:
I just looked it up on the Sears website. They have several different sets. The basic set is about $20.00 and they also have what they call "Impact Grade" (I guess this is for use with an impact wrench) set for about $50.00

I think I would give the bolts a good dose of liquid wrench to help break up any corrosion thats bonding the threads together before using these sockets....
Great, thanks for doing the research. I prolly will be buying both sets, just in case. Thanks again.

Calvin

Here's a trick I heard the other day, take a drift punch, put it squarely on the head of the bolt, and whack it with a big sledge. This can momentarily jar the threads enough to break loose a stuck bolt.

I read in HotRod magazine a few years ago that heating the area with a torch, then holding a candle to it can help. The heated metal melts the wax, which then wicks into the thread area, providine some lubrication. I have never had this method work though.....

I ran into some stubborn starter bolts before. What worked for me was one of those universal wrenches. It has a large opening, with the handle part extending into the opening so when you push on the handle it closes up to grab the bolt head....I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

Rob Noth said:
Here's a trick I heard the other day, take a drift punch, put it squarely on the head of the bolt, and whack it with a big sledge. This can momentarily jar the threads enough to break loose a stuck bolt.
Just talked with a local mechanic, and he just told me the same thing. I will try, for sure. At this point, I open for anything.

Thanks,
Calvin

Andy 94SC said:
I read in HotRod magazine a few years ago that heating the area with a torch, then holding a candle to it can help. The heated metal melts the wax, which then wicks into the thread area, providine some lubrication. I have never had this method work though.....

I ran into some stubborn starter bolts before. What worked for me was one of those universal wrenches. It has a large opening, with the handle part extending into the opening so when you push on the handle it closes up to grab the bolt head....I'll see if I can find a picture of one.
Thanks Andy, going to try heating it, this afternoon. Wouldn't hurt. Awaiting that wrench picture!!

Calvin

This is similar to it, the one I used was more like a complete box end, rather that open, but you can see where the lever part presses against the nut in the same way.

The problem might be fitting it into that small area.

Universal wrench

OK here is the same one I used, its on e-bay right now for $1.25, search for universal wrench. Really not too useful, I don't like it. BUT when nothing else worked, I tried because I had nothing to lose, and it worked.
i-1.JPG

Last edited:
I've seen that wrench before but never had a use for it. Going to see if I can get one locally. Thanks again.

I will let you know the outcome, by Monday, it will be out. Either grind down or it comes out!

Calvin

That may work, I believe my buddy last night was trying to describe that tool to me with little success. Glad I know what he is talking about.

Trust me, I'm desperate!

Thanks,
Calvin

Back