Moonroof drain channels

Greg D

Im going to take my moonroof glass out this weekend to replace the seal, with the new one I ordered from Webasto. My question is, where are the drain channel holes exactly? I want to clean them out, to insure no leaks. Anyone have any pics of where they start and end?

I'm also going to be doing the same thing. The drain channels are the little holes located almost directly above and forward of where your head would be if you sat down in the car. They're just two little holes in front. You'll notice them right away.

Next time I get to the salvage yard I'll bring my camera and try and take some pictures of the routing. There was a car there I got a sunroof motor out of that had most of the interior stripped. (It was an LX, not an SC)

Thanks guys, as soon as all of this damn rain stops, I will give it a shot and take some pics.

Moonroof drain

There are 2 more drain holes at each rear corner on the moonroof. They go into plastic hoses and down behind the 1/4 windows and then out the frame in front of the rear wheel wells. I just used an air hole to blow them out. Good luck

There's a drain in each corner on mine. Don't let those plastic hoses come off. Once mine got an overhead swimming pool because of that.

Ok, I don't mean to bring back this REALLY old post, but I have had two thunderbirds where the moonroof drains have had problems. My 1992 LX, the passenger side drain is clogged, and on my 1993 SC i just got, the driver side drain is really slow. I don't know how to go about trying to clear these out. I've tried using a long cable (long TV RF cable thing w/ the end cut off), and tried to make sure there wasn't anything in it, but it just got to the end and nothing happened. I would figure air could work, but I don't know how to really go about getting air to blow directly into the hoses and I dont' want them to come undone and then have to take the whole headliner out to just to put them back on. Any ideas on how to go about trying to clear at least the front two drains out? The back two aren't AS important yet, it seems like my cars always seem to dump all the water back on ME no matter where i'm sitting :(. Sorry again to bring back this REALLY old post though. I found it doing a search, so, I didn't just dig it up.:D

The front drains down through the A pillar, under the rubber door to windshield seal, so pull out the seal in that area and look for the rust spot.
Good luck

Back