Just had exhaust done and hate it!

Jake

Just got back from the exhaust shop. from the manifolds 2inch, to 2.5 inch to a 3inch y pipe, out to single 2.5 back to flowmasters. It was so loud without the cats and resanator it gave me a headache just driving it home. What should I do? Should I have a high flow res put on? And does it make a big performance difference that I have 2 inch from manifolds and not 2 1/4 like I see most others?

Unless you ported your exhaust manifolds, their outlet is no bigger than 1-7/8" so it shouldn't be too bad. Most are 2-1/4 because a ported manifold is 2", and I think some headers are 2-1/4".

You'll want a resonator to quiet the system down. Search on magnaflow resonator and you'll find the part number of one of the more popular units.

hmm.

Did the same thing man. Sounds like mine after I got back from the exhaust shop. Have a resonator put in and you will be fine. I went with the 18'' Magnaflow. The longer it is the quiter the system will be. You will love it.

Thanks for all the replys. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Magnaflow resonator from Jegs.

Not to knock Magnaflow...

But after having my exhaust done, and using the Dynomax Ultraflow #17228, I am extremely pleased with the result. The Dynomax outflows the Magnaflow, plus it is fully welded, unlike the Magnaflow. The Dynomax "reso" case length is 14", compared to the 18" case length of the Magnaflow, but the sound "loudness", compared to having no resonator is like night and day though. The Dynomax reso is also the same price as the Magnaflow.

Phil

Thanks phils89sc. How loud is you exhaust now? I'm not looking for total silence but I do want it alot quieter than I have it now. Also, where did you get your resonator?

It is hard...

To describe the level of loudness. It only is loud at certain rpm's, but nowhere nearly as loud as it was when I was running the factory resonator. All it would do with the factory reso is drone, hated it. But, with the Dynomax, it is more of a rumble, really low pitch. Not quite a V-8, but just about as close as I can get without dropping a 5.0 in my SC, and I ain't gonna do that. Nothing against the 5.0, but if I wanted one of those, I would buy an LX 5.0 Tbird.

Anyway, there is no tinny sound in my exhaust, it sounds great, I wish you could hear it, but no Audio clip I can record does it justice. It is all the much better with the Flowmaster, cause now I can hear the good old flowmaster rumble that I never could get with any other SC I have had.

Phil

Back