Head gaskets blown?

ruswin

How can I tell for sure that I have a head gasket problem? My previous thread "overheat in the AZ desert" has left me unsure.

Things to look at.
Are you gaining antifreeze,or have oil in it.
are you loosing antifreeze.going out the tail pipe,or coolant reservoir getting fuller.
Are you loosing oil.look milky,have water in it,underside oil filler cap look milky or have water on it.
engine lack power,check compression pressures.
engine lopes when idling,or idles erratically.

Have your local wrench do a gas test on the radiator.

GOOD LUCK RANDY

The only sign of anything odd is the smell of anti-freeze when it gets really hot. But I believe that is the overflow actually bubbling over. I seem to have to add 8-12 oz. if it gets above 7/8 towards hot as I did after my last ride from Phoenix to home in 100' temps, 1 1/4 hour south. My 1993 has no problems with overheating at all.
No change in the oil appearance (just changed)Replaced the radiator cap, radiator, 160' thermostat. I guess I need to have it check by another mech. The one I took it to in CA. only replaced things, didn't really troubleshoot.

Unless you are experiencing direct gasket failure symptoms, there are many other options to consider when diagnosing cooling problems. It could be that your radiator is partially clogged. How old is the radiator? It could also be that your lower rad hose is missing the spring, and partially collapsing upon throttle. Also, that 160 degree thermostat in an otherwise stock system IMO is way too low. The ECU will be misinterpreting sensor input, and may actually cause the engine to run warmer. Another thing to check which I just had a problem with, ensure both your low speed & high speed fans are operational. To check low speed, turn on your A/C & watch for the fan, it should come on within 2 seconds @ any engine temp. Also, what is the general condition of the coolant in the car? At those temps, its possible a poor mixture could cause trouble. Perhaps try flushing the system & adding a mix with greater percentage of water, for better heat transfer. This will also help rid sediment & improve flow. You could also check your water pump, to ensure it is operating properly.

These should provide a start, let us know what you have done so far & what exactly is happening.

Radiator is brand new, coolant is brand new. Had a 192' thermostat in it, changed to the 160' with no change. The lower radiator hose has not been checked however. Does the lower hose have suction which cause it to colapse? I hope like hell it's something simple like the hose. Since I've seen no other indications of head gaskets being the problem, I remain hopefull something else is happening.

If you are constantly having to add a little bit of water to the cooling system every week you may indeed have head gasket failure. A friends leaked from the water jacket to the outside at the back corner of #3 and not into the cylinder but it was working on it.

Just take off the rad cap and look or stick your finger in and lick it (okay, don't lick it) but you will know if there is oil in it or if your exhaust smells sweet like anitfreeze (steam?). I once thought I had a head or intake gasket leak but it turned out to be a cracked hose. Never smelled antifreeze cause it would spray out when hot or high rpms and boil away. Later busted open. After that no more adding coolant.

Go to a reputable shop that wont rip you and get a pressure check done first. Then bleed out any air bubbles from the vent spout. First things first. It's usually something simple.

Back