crank, rods, and pistons?

westwind1.1

Hi, I dont own a supercoupe, but think they are pimp. I just have a question I need answered cuz Im doing a rebuild.

I know the crank is forged, but I was wondering if the rods and pistons are forged as well?

Also, what is the BHP, and RWHP for these forged components?

Project: I have a 99 F-150 and am upgrading my cast components to forged for a turbo kit I am custom building.

Just need some info from the experts of their domain.

Thanks
Joseph
westwind1.1

Sorry, I forgot to be specific about the HP. I need to know the HP threshold, or the estimated highest HP they can handle without breaking.

Thanks
Joseph

The motor itself can handle around 400-450 at the crank, if have the RIGHT setup. Sky's the limit, with aftermarket top and bottom-end. Your main concern would be keeping the headgaskets intact, regardless of your setup. Boost makes headgaskets the weakest link of any motor, especially a 3.8L. That's where Fel-Pro HGs and APR head studs come into play. Even then, I've heard of the HGs going - hard to win with these motors.

Last edited:
yea mid 400? before rods bend(they are a cheap forging), 351W rods can be modified to fit(I think there are pre machined 351W rods out there). Stock pistons are cast. Stock balancer is crap. Stock blower runs out of breath really soon also. The head-gaskets just dont blow from boost, expansion and contraction walks the gaskets out(the replacement Ford gasket works fine usually). Also check Cometecs? website and ask if they make them(one of the best out there)

Are you destroking the 4.2 down or using a 3.8 SC block?

I have a 4.2L. I am willing to lose the displacement since it will only give me a loss of around 25HP, It will be well worth it for the turbo setup Im putting in. I heard the forged crank can handle upwards of 600HP. If those components are not worth the use, I think I will spend the money and go with billet. Also, the head gaskets that are on the 4.2 are better than any aftermarket gasket out there, so I dont have to worry about that part.

Im really looking to have around 510 RWHP.

any other input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joseph

Back