embaraSSment

Who agrees with me?

• Agree

Votes: 89 89.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 11 11.0%

• Total voters

TbirdSC93

Who here thinks that the way chevy is throwing around its SS badge is kind of a disgrace to the SS heritage. The Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS don't seem to live up to the heritage. FWD...V6 and now stealing the engine from the GTP. Nothing against the supercharged v6 (obviously) but doesn't seem like its an engine for a SS

Maybe its just me but it doesn't seem right.

Anyone else agree????

When I first learned about the "new" SS cars coming out, I was fairly excited to tell you the truth. I wanted to see what GM was throwing at the SS name now-a-days. Then I went to their web site and the truth was revealed. I guess the days for big block V8s and RWD are dying out for GM.

The only things I can say are that this will provide a wider aftermarket for the GTP guys (they've already got a good one), it will be cheaper for GM to make all the engines and transmissions together in one place insted of mulitple engines of different sizes, and truthfully, prices will go down on a lot of Chevy cars because of the lack of engine choice (Either Corvette V8 or GTP SC V6, where's the mid-ground?).

The only GM of late that I think may have deserved the SS badges was the Impala SS. I believe it was 96 or so. Came in black with two engine options... Big and bigger!! Even the Monte Carlo SS from the late 80's was a car not worthy of the SS tags with its not so bad a*s 305 . That's just one Ford man's opinion though.

I don't know why GM is f***ing around with nothing cars, but is able to build a decent car (corvette) then clone it for the rich (caddilac) but not do anything for the rest of us. All they did was take the Camaro and Firebirds and let them die a slow death of refusing to update the design and let quality control fail until they could axe them without a complaint. I drove a '92 5.0 t-bird for 142,000 miles because GM did not build a comparable RWD coupe that could hold enough luggage for more than two to take a trip in. What I did not count on was that I would fall in love with that car. Now I am biding my time until my wife's car dies, when I will offer to give her my '02 Civic, and offer to "make do" with another '90's T-Bird. Hopefully when that time comes, I will find a 5-spd SC in my price range faster than another decent 5.0.
Time will tell if the new Pontiac GTO will be any challenge. GM historically has underwhelmed me, this will probably be the same.

yeah the badge of ss doesnt really stand for a v6 engine, supercharged or otherwise. oh well. what are those new gtp supercharged pontiacs doing in the quarter? me and my friends tried to race on the other day in his 99 GT but the guy pussed out.
he told me he would race me in my supercoupe when i get it fixed and im wondering if i can take him.

It just seems to be the way the auto companies are going. Look at all the supped up 4 cyl that came out in the last few years. I am just glad Ford still makes RWD V8s in something other than high priced sports cars.

Bottom line, if it sells, they'll make it. Meaning there's enough people out there who think the new Impala is bad *** enough to buy. Not me obviously. The last Z-28 SS was damn sweet. I think the SS is just a marketing gimic now. Sad...

The last Impala SS was made from 94-96. In 94-95 it was only offered in black. It had the steering column shifter both years. In 96 they offered 3 color choices, dark cherry (maroon), black, and a greenish blue color. 96 also got the center console shifter and thats why they are the most sporty and desireable of all the years. All 3 years they came with 1 engine: the 5.7L 260 hp 350 cubic inch LT-1 detuned from the Corvette and Camaro Z28. Stock the Impala SS runs comparable to an SC. The owners will claim high 14's but every mag I've seen tested them from 15.3-15.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Everyone in an Impala SS brags about it being a 4 door corvette. Thats not true. The Corvette of those years was rated about 330 hp, the Z28 got 285 hp, and the SS Z28 got 305 hp. Then in 98 the LS-1 came out for the Camaro's and power was like 305 for the Z28, and 325 for the SS. The Corvette got the LS-1 in 97 the first year of the C-5 platform. It was rated I believe 340 or 350 hp in the Corvette.

I personally happen to like the new Supercharged SS Impala and Monte Carlo. I did however think the 3.8L Series II engine in the Monte SS previous to the 2004 model was a disgrace though. 200 hp in an SS, no not deserving of the SS. I wished all along they'd put the GTP motor in it and then it'd be worthy of the SS badging. I also had visions of the new Impala all black on 17" wheels and a supercharged motor being called the SS. I must have been on the same wavelength as some of the GM engineers.

Take a look at any classic car, nova, monte, camaro, chevelle, etc... Then look at the same car in the SS model. They had more options, bigger engines, bigger wheels, and better suspension. Does that not describe the Monte Carlo and Impala SS we are now offered with? FWD you claim as a disgrace, but its safe and thats what the government is after, safety. Had the cars been brought back w/ RWD they'd lose a whole market of customers that want FWD and there seems to be more of them than the old hot rodders like us who prefer a rear drive car. I can't say that they couldn't be better but for a factory performance package they seem to do exactly what the cars of the old days did, but these are safer, and get better gas mileage. Yeah sure they aren't 13 second factory sleepers, but not that many of the original SS cars were either. A few were, and even fewer ran in the 12's stock. Maybe a Chevelle SS w/ 4 on the floor and 4.10 gear would if you had drag tires, but most people bought the hottest thing they could afford, and then souped it up more.

I'm not trying to defend GM here because I'm a die hard ford guy and I like rwd as much as the next guy here. I wouldn't own three SC's if I didn't like them. I'm just saying that if you have a family, want a new car w/ a warranty, safety is important (its only the lives of your family, how important is that?), and you want something with some style and speed, and can't afford a 4 door Mercedes AMG sport sedan, you are left with few choices. Wouldn't a four door Impala SS carry your family around safely, look sportier than the average Impala on the road, and perform better too. 14 seconds stock, thats faster than our beloved SC's run in the 1/4 stock. I think it fits the bill just fine. I would rather have a 96 black SS but they are more expensive to find than a new 04 S/C SS is. Now if I didn't have a family, and I wanted a sportier coupe that could be driven all year long (I live in MI) and it had to be pretty quick w/ potential for an aftermarket (cuz I can't leave anything stock). What choice does ford give me? NONE. Monte SS or GTP I'd consider. Both the Monte and Impala have the potential to go very fast. Granted the fwd limits it after about the 13 second mark, but you can get a good LSD for them if you have the money to blow. For a daily driver to commute to work and drive in the rain and snow and be quick around town, good on gas, fly down the highway, and have FWD. I think they have that market monopolized. Ford has NO comparison. Sure the Taurus can compete w/ the Impala, but not the Impala SS, there is no SHO anymore. What does ford offer to compete w/ a mid size coupe w/ fwd............. nothing.

Last edited:
SS and such

Chevy may have eliminated the Camaro and Pontiac the Firebird, but look at the new GTO. Now, I agree that throwing old names on new cars is not the right way to do things.....the new GTO is a rear drive 350/350hp. The unfortunate thing, the car is a Holden design from 1999, from down under, yes Austrailia. IMO it is a nice looking car, with a fair amount of hp, from the factory. I am certain Chevy will have a sister model at some time, maybe the new generation Camaro......?

gto4.JPG

Cavy?

thumphed said:
that looks like a cavy, or is it just me?

It does, a bit, until you see it next to something else. It is bigger than a Grand Am but smaller than a GP. Admittedly, it looks like every other cookie cutter GM product.....but this one has some ba!!s...

heh, when i scrolled down, i thought that was a cavy. But yeah, basically, as stated before, i belive the SS is now used as a marketing gimmick. But yeah...i do have a 2000 SS Camaro sitting out in the driveway right now. :rolleyes:

GM & Ford

Gentlemen, I have a confession to make. I own a 91, T-Bird SC, but I work for GM.I also own an 83 Camaro,I like them both.We were told that GM & Ford was going to come out with a new 6 speed tranny together.I also think the new Pontiac Solstice (due out in 2005??) looks pretty neat. :cool:

Attachments

• 101_0111.JPG
    101_0111.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 101_0112.JPG
    101_0112.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 101_0113.JPG
    101_0113.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 78
  • 101_0114.JPG
    101_0114.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 82
Friend of mine has the new GTO...all I have to say is Holy ****! He let me drive it for about half an hour and I was ready to trade my expedition in on one. Good thing I had my wife's voice of reason.

I agree that the SS label should be reserved for stock "modified" cars. I.E in 94 they had the SS S-10 which had different cam, injectors, fuel pump, etc. and was considerably faster than a stock 4.3. Alas, they have broken down as stated before and bent in the direction of the wind and made it a marketing gimmick. Like I tell everyone about GM cars...unless you want to buy the top of the line (Vette, Caddy, GMC Sierra with 4x4 steering)...you're probably going to get a lemon, or at least a car that smells like one.

I personally would like to see a regeneration of the Typhoon and Cyclone. Unfortunately GM only has the Colarado for a platform and it's ugly as ****. Well maybe if they stuck a turbo in it, put some performace suspension on it, and 17 in wheels, then it might look all right.

What about the SS Full Size?

What about the SS full size pickup? That thing is really nice! Not much of a truck guy, but if I were to buy one it would be a Lightining or the Chevy SS.

SS=Super Size?

GM has in the past made some excellent cars built for safety performance and easy on the wallet too but like most american car makers there is the batch that fall apart easy too im not bashing chevy are ford are any other maker but even owning 2 SC and having the same problems on both cars makes ya wonder WHY reminds me of when my brother had a early 80s sunbird and the drivers side door handle broke went to the junk yard only to find EVERy car there had the handle either missing are broke LOL BTW i was almost owned by the new monte SS the thing is fast for a typical v6 and it owns on handling to so i think the SS badge aint BIGGER is better but overall handling braking aceleration the overall package type thing is where they are stamping the SS on Ive seen the GTO up close and although i dont care for the body style the motor can sleep in my bed anyday :)

Ford and Gm Man

Scott Long said:
The last Impala SS was made from 94-96. In 94-95 it was only offered in black. It had the steering column shifter both years. In 96 they offered 3 color choices, dark cherry (maroon), black, and a greenish blue color. 96 also got the center console shifter and thats why they are the most sporty and desireable of all the years. All 3 years they came with 1 engine: the 5.7L 260 hp 350 cubic inch LT-1 detuned from the Corvette and Camaro Z28. Stock the Impala SS runs comparable to an SC. The owners will claim high 14's but every mag I've seen tested them from 15.3-15.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Everyone in an Impala SS brags about it being a 4 door corvette. Thats not true. The Corvette of those years was rated about 330 hp, the Z28 got 285 hp, and the SS Z28 got 305 hp. Then in 98 the LS-1 came out for the Camaro's and power was like 305 for the Z28, and 325 for the SS. The Corvette got the LS-1 in 97 the first year of the C-5 platform. It was rated I believe 340 or 350 hp in the Corvette.

I personally happen to like the new Supercharged SS Impala and Monte Carlo. I did however think the 3.8L Series II engine in the Monte SS previous to the 2004 model was a disgrace though. 200 hp in an SS, no not deserving of the SS. I wished all along they'd put the GTP motor in it and then it'd be worthy of the SS badging. I also had visions of the new Impala all black on 17" wheels and a supercharged motor being called the SS. I must have been on the same wavelength as some of the GM engineers.

Take a look at any classic car, nova, monte, camaro, chevelle, etc... Then look at the same car in the SS model. They had more options, bigger engines, bigger wheels, and better suspension. Does that not describe the Monte Carlo and Impala SS we are now offered with? FWD you claim as a disgrace, but its safe and thats what the government is after, safety. Had the cars been brought back w/ RWD they'd lose a whole market of customers that want FWD and there seems to be more of them than the old hot rodders like us who prefer a rear drive car. I can't say that they couldn't be better but for a factory performance package they seem to do exactly what the cars of the old days did, but these are safer, and get better gas mileage. Yeah sure they aren't 13 second factory sleepers, but not that many of the original SS cars were either. A few were, and even fewer ran in the 12's stock. Maybe a Chevelle SS w/ 4 on the floor and 4.10 gear would if you had drag tires, but most people bought the hottest thing they could afford, and then souped it up more.

I'm not trying to defend GM here because I'm a die hard ford guy and I like rwd as much as the next guy here. I wouldn't own three SC's if I didn't like them. I'm just saying that if you have a family, want a new car w/ a warranty, safety is important (its only the lives of your family, how important is that?), and you want something with some style and speed, and can't afford a 4 door Mercedes AMG sport sedan, you are left with few choices. Wouldn't a four door Impala SS carry your family around safely, look sportier than the average Impala on the road, and perform better too. 14 seconds stock, thats faster than our beloved SC's run in the 1/4 stock. I think it fits the bill just fine. I would rather have a 96 black SS but they are more expensive to find than a new 04 S/C SS is. Now if I didn't have a family, and I wanted a sportier coupe that could be driven all year long (I live in MI) and it had to be pretty quick w/ potential for an aftermarket (cuz I can't leave anything stock). What choice does ford give me? NONE. Monte SS or GTP I'd consider. Both the Monte and Impala have the potential to go very fast. Granted the fwd limits it after about the 13 second mark, but you can get a good LSD for them if you have the money to blow. For a daily driver to commute to work and drive in the rain and snow and be quick around town, good on gas, fly down the highway, and have FWD. I think they have that market monopolized. Ford has NO comparison. Sure the Taurus can compete w/ the Impala, but not the Impala SS, there is no SHO anymore. What does ford offer to compete w/ a mid size coupe w/ fwd............. nothing.

Scott, I think you answered a question in the SS debate. The camaros you mentioned (Z28 & SS) must have been worthy of the SS badge with the engines they had.

Why was the engine for the Impala SS detuned from the Vette and Camaro?

David

Well, along with all the Cavys and Rice and such: Anyone Seen the Cobalt SS. Yep, Definately a Marketing ploy.
Even with a supered 4 banger, its not really worthy of the SS. But all cars have a niche, and that would be in the younger crowd.
I think all of the newer SS cars are aimed toward the same market they were in the Sixtees and Seventys: People (of most ages) that wanted a little fun with what they drive.
ya just cant have AS MUCH fun nowadays :rolleyes:

Back