Questions about springs and swaybars

racecougar

Ok, I've been thumbing through old threads for the past hour or so now, but I still haven't really found the answers that I'm looking for. I'm putting the front suspension together on my 90 XR7 before I lower the 4.6 DOHC in. I've already finished the rear suspension, which consists of:

FRPP centersection (3.73's and T-Loc in aluminum housing)
94 Lincoln Mark 8 lower control arms (aluminum)
90 SC rear springs
Airlift airbags
KYB GR2 shocks (yes, I know that they're not Bilsteins or Konis)
No sway bar at the moment, will depend on what swaybar is used on the front

I've been considering using either Sport springs or Eibachs. I wouldn't mind having the front a little lower, although 1.5" is a little more than I'd really like. I'm looking to have a slightly firmer than stock ride, but by all means, I do not want anything that will be harsh. I know everyone is going to shoot me for this, but I'm planning on using KYB GR2 front shocks. I've used them on two other MN12's for at least 3 years now, and I'm happy with them. Plus, they are much cheaper than Koni's, Bilsteins, etc.

The other issue I've been concerned with is which swaybars to use. I've been considering ADDCO 1.25" bars in front and rear. Once again, I don't want anything that will make the ride harsh, but stiffer than stock is better. Is the 1.25" front bar going to be too stiff?

Here are a couple shots of the car:

020923140043.jpg

05260011paint.jpg

And here's a shot of the rear suspension, with the stock size bar and minus the airbags.
Mark8IRSswap6.jpg

-Rod

I will also consider other brands of springs, just as long as they don't drop the front any lower than the Eibachs would and aren't too costly.

-Rod

Are you talking about leaving the SC springs in the rear? As far as I know you can only buy springs in sets, don't know where you would get just a front set. Sport and SC springs are the same. I love my Eibachs, ride is about as stiff as stock but yours should be smoother with the newer shocks.

Most road race setups allow the front end to be a little more loose than the rear, so having a 1 1/8" in front and the 1 1/4" in back would be perfect in my opinion. Don't go any stiffer unless you stiffen up the unibody (cage, stut bars).

Good luck, it looks to be a great car.

Yes, the car will keep it's SC rear springs. I know that I can buy new front SC/Sport springs in pairs, but I was going to ask if anyone knew how to get Eibachs (or any aftermarket spring) in pairs only, not sets.

I didn't know that ADDCO made a 1 1/8" bar for the front, I thought that the smallest they made for the front was 1.25". Am I wrong?

I also forgot to mention that the car will have subframe connectors before it even sees the street, they just aren't on yet.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm working at making it a great car.

-Rod

You might want to check the Group Buy forum. There is something happening with some .75" to 1" drop springs. They may be cheap enough it won't hurt so much to throw away one set of them. And they are not dropping as much as many of the other springs out there.

Thanks, I've been considering those, but I need to pick up a pair ASAP. They sound like what I need though, so I may have to wait for them (if it isn't too long).

-Rod

I've been hearing good things about the 1.25" ADDCO sway bars. Does anyone have anything to say about them? I'm afraid that the 1.375" would be way too harsh and very heavy. I'm jsut trying to get as much info as possible before I buy the parts to put the front suspension back together.

-Rod

Back