Window Motor "cam" replacement process with PICS

NorthrnSCownr

I just replaced the "cams" inside my passenger window motor. I like to think of them as torque displacement devises myself. At any rate, this seems to be a common problum, so I wanted to share my way of solving this problum. <P> It took my about 8 minutes to get the motor out, about 4 minutes to clean it out, 9 minutes to find something to replace them with, and another 12 for hacksawing, and filing the nuts down to the proper size. Another 10 minutes to reinstall, and my window is back in perfect working order. <P> I called the thieves at the Ford stealership, and was given a window motor replacement quote of $250.00 with the motor itself being $150.00.....All I can do is shake my head..... At any rate here are some pics of the process... One nut was a brass nut from a Jaguar exaust manifold and the other two stripped steel nuts.

Attachments

• wm pieces 2.jpg
    wm pieces 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 784
What we need is some soft plactic dowel around 1/2" thick. From memory they need to be around .450 of a inch in diameter. You can buy the repair kits for older Fords on a HELP card and just use the plastic pins with our gear.

I believe the plastic pins are made to break up at a certain torque as a safety feature. If a child gets a head, hand or arm wedged between the window and frame the pins will sheer and the window will not continue up. Ask yourself if you want to put your hand inbetween the frame and window and have someone run the window up with those steel pieces in there.

Jerry

I just ground the top edge of my window down so it's sharp and use it for slicing food, wire, hose, whatever. A quick demonstration for the kids with a Barbie doll should keep them away :D

There is someone on eBay selling the cams for either $5 or $6 plus shipping.

Hey my windows havent stopped working yet, but they are struggling. They will start to go down then stop, then go a little more then stop. and on the way back up i usually have to help it by pullilng it or it wont move at all. Whats the problem here, do i need new motors????
email me
randensc@yahoo.com

i think that you need New tracks. When they get old they start to rust or something like that and make it a pain in the @$$ for the motor because the window isn't going up or down smoothly. Good luck. Peace

Sergio

RandenSC,

Is the motor still running when your window pauses during the upwards or downwards travel? If so, then you've got exactly the same symptoms that I just had. I pulled the motor and found that the cams were nothing but plastic/rubber shrapnel. Fortunately, I had a spare window motor with good cams, and was able to swap them in and get the window working properly again. In my case, the tracks were fine.

Best regards,

Sean

yeah the motor is still running, but the window wont move. i'll check it and find out. it its that then i am going to try the bolts remedy! just hope i dont get my hand or head stuck in it!! jk!!

What years are interchangeable on the motors? I may just go to pull a part and snag one this weekend.

with the nuts solution you insure that the next failure will require the 150 dollar motor to fix it ---I just go to Advance or Autozone and get the plastic repair parts for less than 5 bucks and its a done deal with new parts instead of ten year old used ones..............Dan

Worn fuzzies (the weathershipping that the glass touches) will cause the window motors to struggle when raising/lower the windows and will eventually lead to other problems too. The plastic lobes in the motor seem to go first though. I just used a white plastic dowl rod of whatever diameter and sanded the sides off in a triangular shape until they all fit. I think I got the dowel on ebay for $6 - enough to fix about 6 motors.

Next problem - what to do with the fuzz-less fuzzies...:confused:

with the nuts solution you insure that the next failure will require the 150 dollar motor to fix it ---I just go to Advance or Autozone and get the plastic repair parts for less than 5 bucks and its a done deal with new parts instead of ten year old used ones..............Dan
Yup. They work fine, but I had to file off about 1/16" to get them to fit. :cool:

Back