Valve Spring recommendations

chriseastendsc

Hey, anyone that has a large cam in their SC (getting close to 600 lift), I'd like to hear valve spring recommendations. Crane obviously sucks (dam broken springs!). Anyone else using a manufacturer they'd recommend that will stand up to 600 lift?

Chris

I've got the springs that Steigiemer sells on mine. They are actually double springs that are stiff enough to get away with only using the outer spring. They look like they are chrome plated and come with titianium retainers. Best of all they fit the stock spring cups.

I had Crane springs and without cups the inner and outer springs got tangled and broke 9 inners. Replaced those with doubles from Comp Cam that had a harmonic dampner that kept the inner and outer spring seperate but still didn't work with spring cups, so the springs were still walking a lttle and the inner spring was grinding on the cup retaining boss. Finally when changing cams the last time, we installed longer valves and these springs from Stegimeir. This is how they look compressed with about .610 lift.

compressed%20spring110102.jpg

David

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me how many miles you have on those springs? Curious on how long they've held up for you.

Chris

Chris,

They were installed in November and my car is a daily driver (weather permitting) so around 4000 miles would be close.

David

valvespring setup for .600 lift

The easiest one is Comp Cams 916 at 1.700" installed height.

Use the 741 retainer and the 4700 cup (you will need to machine head boss) and also shorten up the valve guide by around .040" or so.

This setup works super with aftermarket (cough, Chevy, cough) valves.

Last edited:
Back