Rear end drain plug...

MN12 KID

It doesn't seem to be a pull-out drain plug - some sort of recessed square bolt plug. What size is it?

It's square drive, socket sized, 3/8 or 1/2, can't remember offhand. You can just stick an extension in there and use a breaker bar to unscrew it. It may be very tight.

There is no drain plug, just a fill plug. I've added drain plugs to my pumpkins.

Well, the fill plug is used to drain the pumpkin, too. How did you manage to tap in your own drain plugs to the pumpkin?

MN12 KID said:
Well, the fill plug is used to drain the pumpkin, too. How did you manage to tap in your own drain plugs to the pumpkin?

A drill bit, a 3/8 NPT tap, and a 3/8 NPT magnetic drain plug. There's plenty of room in the bottom of the case, and I've been changing gears lately. It's alot easier when you use aluminum Cobra pumpkins :D

Where's is an ideal spot to drill on the bottom of the pumpkin without damaging the gears? If you have a photo of the location, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Uh, does this pumpkin work like some cars where one of the lower bolts also works as a drain? I've never tried it on my SC. If it doesn't, you might be able to drill a small hole through one of the lower bolt bosses, and have a "hidden" drain. Plus then you wouldn't have to drill a 19/32" hole in cast iron for the 3/8" NPT tap...

Rob Noth said:
Uh, does this pumpkin work like some cars where one of the lower bolts also works as a drain? I've never tried it on my SC. If it doesn't, you might be able to drill a small hole through one of the lower bolt bosses, and have a "hidden" drain. Plus then you wouldn't have to drill a 19/32" hole in cast iron for the 3/8" NPT tap...

Nope, you have to drill.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

MN12 KID said:
Well, the fill plug is used to drain the pumpkin, too.

If you drain your gear oil through the fill plug, then your pumpkin is overfilled. You're supposed to fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole.

-Rod

Back