New Macs slaughter Pentium 4 and Xeon lol

1BADSC

Dual 1GHz Front side bus
8GB of Ram
Serial ATA
Dual IBM Power PC 2Ghz processors
Worlds First True 64bit desktop processor

Each PowerPC G5 processor has its own dedicated 1GHz bidirectional interface to the system controller for a mind-boggling 16GB per second of total bandwidth ? more than twice the 6.4-GBps maximum bandwidth of Pentium 4-based systems using the latest PC architecture

It killed the Dual 3.06GHz Xeon processors and the P4 3.06.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

:) :) :)

Last edited:
Worlds First True 64bit processor
Oh please... I love how Apple can release something that everybody else already has, and call it a "world's first"... Itanium is already on the 2nd generation (with a choice of at least three OS's - HPUX, Linux, Windows), Sun has had 64 bit workstations for even longer.

Apple is as usual "a day late and a dollar short". And I wonder why they chose to compare their 64-bit G5 to a 32-bit Xeon instead of a 64-bit Itanium 2 workstation? Hmm, that wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that a Itanium 2 has higher performance on SPECint, and almost 2x the SPECfp performance of a G5? Gosh, that wouldn't have looked too good on their performance chart... :D

Last edited:
My assumption for why they did not compare it to that would be this. There main competition is windows based machines like Dell and Gateway, so those are what they choose to compare their products too and vice versa. Sure I can build a workstation with 64 processors and compare it, but that is not what their competition is. And windows does not have a true 64bit os. Longhorn was supposed to be but they have since scrapped it and are starting something new. All of the latest from Dell, Gateway, or home built are almost always overkill. You can run a very fast computer on a 233MHz processor and Windows NT. 4.0 and set it up to be really fast. But I just think the technological leap that Apple made was insane. Not too mention that their OS is designed to use both processors all of the time, unlike windows where they only work with certain programs. And the jump from 4.6 GB bandwidth to 16.4 GB bandwidth on the FSB, and PCI-X running at 133MHz compared to 33MHz, and 8GB of DDR400 Ram Compared to 4GB Max on a windows machine. This is their real competition and they killed it. And at a lower price.

Oh boy, now I can do all the desktop programming and graphic design I want twice as fast. Hopefully I won't have to send it to anyone :rolleyes:.

I was just being dumb. In the old days, there were serious compatibiliy issues between Apple and PC variants, but I know that is not an issue these days (unless you are talking about Apple Talk and NetBUI or something weird like that). I just don't like how the Macs operate, but I do like the Unix backend idea.

Yeah they are much better now, I am running both windows and mac on my network and have no problems with file transfers or any sharing issues. Though I must say setting up a mac network is a whole lot easier than setting up a windows network :) With the macs on the network all I had to do was plug it in and hit connect to server. If you want pure number crunching power get a pc. If you want everything else without the hastle then get a mac and run faster with much better programs and no crashing.

and it is the fastest 64bit processor ever, fastest FSb ever, and the First "Desktop" 64 bit proccessor.

Ripvanbl said:
Oh boy, now I can do all the desktop programming and graphic design I want twice as fast. Hopefully I won't have to send it to anyone :rolleyes:.
hahahahahah

nothing against macs, they are great machines, but they just don't have the versatility of a pc.

fastest 64bit processor ever, fastest FSb ever, and the First "Desktop" 64 bit proccessor.
NO, maybe yes, and NO! G5 is not the fastest, and it's definitely not the first. Tests I've seen show Itanium 2 is faster. And both HP and Sun have been selling 64-bit workstations for quite a while. Apple wants you to believe they're leading here, but really everyone else had products to market months or years ago.

But I will give credit where credit is due, that Apple case looks like it was machined out of a block of billet aluminum, very cool. Maybe that's why they're late to market - spent too much time designing the case! :D

as usual, apple makes a superior product, yet will sell 1/10 the units as gateway or dell.

i'd own a mac in a second if it ran autoCAD.

It is the Worlds first "Desktop" 64 bit processor. NOt workstation, not server, but Desktop. Sure certain tests are going to go either way. But when you use tests on programs that both can run you will clearly see how horribly slow the competition is. Don't get me wrong i still use my windows computer and it works pretty well, but this new mac is just plain sick.

If you haven't watched the video already check out the World Wide Developers Tools Conference.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc03/

If you didn't go watch the video then you didn't get any of it. They used tests that were written for both Dell and Mac, and had one of the industry leading benchmark companies do all the testing. The only thing the xeon could keep up in was the integer test. Every test done was the same program on both using xeons and the 3.06 and 3.2. Go watch the video.

Here's another article:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1136018,00.asp

1BADSC, I think you're missing the fine details here. Apple doctored the tests so G5 would look faster, and made specific changes to lower xeon performance! In every other test conducted by Intel, AMD, and third parties, the P4/xeon and Athlon chips were faster in integer and floating point performance.

One could argue that everyone else probably does some tweaks to get the best test performance from their processor too. Even if that is true, the most you could then conclude is that the processors are close enough in performance that you can't really say which is better.

But that's all a moot point anyway, because Itanium 2 is much faster. (BTW a "workstation" is really just a more powerful "desktop" system, so to say that Itanium 2 doesn't count because it's a workstation is silly.)

Back