remote start trouble!

duanemyhre

I’m installing an alarm with a remote start on my 90 SC. My remote start on my alarm just won’t work! The ignition comes on, but it just wont crank over (activate the starter). I have tried everything I could think of. The Alarm/remote start unit appears to be functioning correctly, but still will not crank over.

Is there some special process or set of wires that I need to address?!
PLEASE HELP!!
:confused:

Just curious

Do you have to step on the brake prior to starting your vehicle regularly? If so, there is a relay where you need to tap the starter wire at. If you don't, car wont start. Did you use a meter/probe/test light to verify the starter wire from the remote start was sending juice? What brand unit are you working with as well? I do Presteige / DEI all day at the job. Need some more info here on what you have and haven't checked.

Lata, Alyn.

I have a Crimestopper 2015FM. First of all. Installing anything in this car is like putting a water buffalo in the trunk. There is no space anywhere!

There is a wire off the alarm which I had to connect to the neg side of the brake switch. That seems to work. I can start the car with the key, and then push the remote start on the remote and the car will run without the key. If I push the brake peddle, the car will shut off (like it is supposed too).

Do you mean another relay already on the car? Where is it?

I installed the remote start and starter disable in the wiring harness between the steering wheel and the fuse box area.

It looks like it is going to start. The park lights come on, the alarm beeps, the ignition and fuel come on, and… I can hear the relay in the alarm brain click (I think for the starter. It just doesn’t turn over.

I tried to check the remote start wire to the starter to check for power. I think it is sending power to the starter. I can hear the alarm brain relay making a click when it tries to send power to the starter. Unfortunately, the only place I could put the brain for the alarm, is in a place that is very difficult to get to and see that I am actually checking the right leads.

My fear is that there is some strange stock anti-theft…something on the car. The car has the key pad on the door that opens the door and the trunk. I don’t know if it has a stock alarm. If it does, it doesn’t appear to be activated?!

3 things

neutral gear wire
starter wire red/ green???
tach wire

should start if the starter wire hooked up in the right direction and the tachs programed. If its a manual trans starter theres a procedure to start the vehicle from the remote

its an automatic:)

So I think the neutral gear wire is off the list??:confused:

My alarm has a test to check for a valid tack wire and I passed the test, so I think Im OK there. I used first tried the green wire on the DIS. That didnt work, so I used the yellow wire next to it. I believe this is one of the wires going to the coil.

After testing the wire with the alarm test, I did the program tack procedure. Everything went well. I think the wire is only giving out 1/3 the total RPM, but I don’t think that should matter if the alarm has learned it?!

Does anyone know where the actual tack wire is?

I read the wiring diagram that has been going around and I don’t have a Green/Yellow or Tan/Yellow wire at my coil. I only have a yellow/black, yellow/red, yellow/white, red/green(looks like power). My guess is that all the yellow wires are all tack wires, but I don’t know of a collective tack wire, like you would need to run a standard tachometer.

and... yes I did use the red/green wire from the harness under the steering column.

I just dont know where to try next. Is there stock relay for the brake(to start the car? If there is, do you know where it is? That might be the problem. I installed the wire from the alarm to the brake switch and that seems to work fine
:confused:

and you used the proper side for the brake switch right, the tach wire behind the dash is dark green/yellow or tan/yellow at coil

starter is RED/LIGHT BLUE:p not green like i thought
ignition is RED/GREEN

theres a brake wire and a neutral wire on some, I had a Crime Stopper but gave away the instructions:rolleyes:, but yours only has the brake switch wire?

Last edited:
I will double check the wire on the brake switch, but im pretty sure its OK. I connected it to the neg side like the instructions said to.

Tell me about this neutral wire. Where do I find it?

I really need to get a dealership service manual for this stuff. My book doesent show anything.

I double checked my starter wire at the ignition switch with a light tester. It was the Red/Light Blue one not the red/green. I used the wiring diagram that has been going around on SCCOA to do my installation. The only thing that didnt match(I couldnt find) was the tach wire. I will also try the Green/Yellow or Tan/Yellow wire if I can find it under the dash.

the green/yellow wire is behind the instrument panel (behind the tach side). Its a small thin wire. The shop manuals are usually useless for stereo/alarm wiring, you need the alarm diagrams for the vehicle.

well theres the brake wire so it shuts off when the brake is pressed and the neutral wire prevents starting out of Park or Neutral, I forget where that is located...steering column?

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/images/rs_diagram.jpg
is this close?

Last edited:
The 2015 uses a Positive for the brake input, but since it works then that seems OK. Did you buy the alarm 2nd hand? If so it might be set up for standard transmission (and yes this alarm will do a 5sp car, usually only dealers know about this option. Try doing an idle down and press the lock button after getting out of the car. If the lock button kills it then it's setup for standard. Make sure the hood pin is not grounded if it is then the alarm thinks the hood is open and won't start.

Jeff

You can pick up the tach wire at the instrument cluster, when I get home I'll give you the pin location. Or you can just switch to the tachless mode as it is just as good.

Jeff

"I installed the remote start and starter disable in the wiring harness between the steering wheel and the fuse box area."

As I recall (I just installed 2 of the 2015's a few months ago) there isn't a starter disable (relay) that is external, you just use the brown and brown and white (on the alarm). Did you add a separate relay for the starter kill? If so did you reverse the order, as in having the relay before the starter wire?

Last edited:
I bought this alarm new :) , so it should be set for an automatic?? I didnt read anything in the instructions that said different.

I did add the starter kill and I made sure that the alarm starter wire was on the starter side of the relay.

The instructions said to put the alarm brake wire on the switch so that it would get power when the brake peddle is pressed, so I think I got that right. As I said, It works to kill the car when running in remote start mode:confused:

The information on that tach wire would be greatly appreciated!!

Do you think there would be a problem with the neutral wire considering that the car is in park when it is remote started??

Im going to give this a try ""Try doing an idle down and press the lock button after getting out of the car. If the lock button kills it then it's setup for standard. Make sure the hood pin is not grounded if it is then the alarm thinks the hood is open and won't start."" I will let you know how it goes

I will also try and trick the alarm and brake sensor to see if there is some sort of relay in the system. I will ground the brake wire from the alarm(so it thinks im not pushing the brake) and I will ground the positive side of the brake switch(so the car thinks im pushing the brake). I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for you help guys:D

Your going to burn it up. Wait a few hours so that I can answer this properly. I am a Crimestopper Dealer and have installed them for more than 10 years.

I am at work right now so I can't post very long.

Jeff

edit:

Don’t ground the brake switch.

Get me the serial # off the back of the alarm and I can get a wiring diagram for the car from Wire Magic.

Jeff

Pm me if needed

Last edited:
You just caught me before I went out to give it a try.

I will wait to hear from you.

Thanks for your help!:D

its a 1990

I just talked to the tech people at Crimestoppers and they said to connect my starter wire directly to the soleniod. What do you think?

The guys a Crimestoppers suggested that it might be a problem because of the brake switch (I have to push the brake to start the car)

Sounds like it makes sense, but I disconnected the alarm brake wire, pushed on the brake, activated the remote start, and that didn’t work. So I’m not sure.

If it does work, it really proves that my car is very easy to steal.

Do you have any experience adding a fuel cutoff to the alarm or adding a hidden switch for the fuel cutoff? I would like to make my car a little more difficult to steal.

IT WORKS!!

OK I just tapped into the brown wire and linked that to the solenoid. It started right up!:) Works like a charm:D

My car must be VERY easy to steal:(

Any idea or experience with that fuel shutoff. It seems a little risky. If the relay died, the car might die on the road:(

Why cant we just hang car thieves;) They did it in the past with horse thieves
:p

the "brake" wire was wired wrong then?

you can have it wired closed with the power off, so if the alarm fails (alarm wire is cut) car will still start. Just run a relay between one of the wires that attaches to the inertia switch in the trunk and wire the relay to an "armed " wire . You can also splice the inertia switch wire at the drivers kick panel, its a large red wire ( hard to find, easier to splice at the trunk where you can see it).

He was just having trouble with the neutral safety switch. I don't remember where the switch is located but I think it's under the shifter console, just use the starter side of the switch and you'll be all set. I am guessing that you ran a wire outside the car to test at the solenoid. :D

The tach wire is Green with a Yellow stripe it's the #1 wire on the right side harness on the inst. cluster.

The 2015 is a nice alarm you'll like it. If you have 2 cars, 1 remote for both cars is a cool option. I have the 2011 in my SC (it's a 5speed)

I have to call them about a customer’s alarm that is giving me fits.

All cars are easy to steal.

If you were speaking of the fuel shutoff (inertia switch) that is in the trunk, no one really has a problem with them.

If you are talking about adding a relay for a shutoff then I would wire it normally open that way even if the alarm is disabled the relay won't function. If the relay contacts go bad then all you have to do is move the wire on 87 to 87a and that circuit will function again even if the contacts for the normally open side are burnt. (they are separate contacts)

I have a CS-9228 Vector on another car. It is the only line that had a normally open starter kill. It's been on the car for about 6 years without a hitch. Then again I have had relay's switching less than 200ma go out in a few weeks. Always buy quality relays like Bosch or P&B.

Jeff

BTW they don't tell you about the 2011 and 2015 being able to do manual cars, but it's built in. You just have to cut a trace on the board.

Last edited:
Back