Power window ?

Spike31460

The power window on the passenger side does not come down. Any hints, or past experiences that might help me ? The wires are all connected on the switches, and the motor makes a noise when you hit the button for "up" . It is the sound that the motor just doesn't go up any more. I'm going to take the inside door panel off today and try to get at the motor. Maybe there's a wire off there. Thanks, Ron.......

Thanks for the link. that will do just fine. Now what do you sharpen glass with ? That would surely surprise a car-jacker.......

SPIKE...

If you are going to do the cam job, a few tips. The gear is held in place with a small U clip, then the plastic gear just needs to be slipped passed a rubber O ring. let me know if you need any other help as I would love to recipricate some of the help I have recieved from the board.
Tom

Window

Just one thing to check before you pull the motor out, I've had three scs (two right now) and in all three the windows have pulled out of the plastic pieces that they sit in (and are glued to) and moves them up and down. Make sure thats not your problem before you pull everything apart, as this is an easier fix than the motors. Just a thought,
Ed
(I know that sentence doesn't read right, but I think you can figure what I mean)

I'm having a hard time removing the inside door panel. I've got the full leather interior, and if it has just clips holding it in, they sure are whoppers. I've only found one screw to remove that I thought would hold any importance, and it held nothing. :confused: :rolleyes:

I assume you removed the one screw behind the door light? The second screw is hidden beneath the small trim panel around the door handle where the switches are. Slitgh and gentle prying will pop it off. Once you have it off, you'll see the other one (or two) remaining screws. Once they're removed lift up from the bottom edge of the door panel away from the hinges. Once you do it once, it's easy.

Hey thanks Russ, now I have one more ? Does the switch reverse the polarity in the motor to run the motor the opposite way to put the window down ? The motor runs, but only in one direction.

Spike31460 said:
Does the switch reverse the polarity in the motor to run the motor the opposite way to put the window down ?
Yes.

Also, the black trim piece by the mirror is the last retainer for the cover. Then you grab the bottom of the cover and lift straight up and then rotate the bottom out and take the whole cover off.

I've got everything apart and back together, and here are my findings. The motor only turns in one direction, but it runs strong.
I also found a piece of the side track from the window guide laying in the bottom of the door. Someone must have been in there before. I don't reckon that the switch is bad, because that
would mean that they both are bad, as the window will not go down from either switch. Does anyone have any other ideas, or personal experiences with this particular predicament.
Thanks, Ron..........:confused:

Try running the motor directly off the battery with a couple of test leads. You can use a couple of small picture hanging nails, or paper clips?? to reach into the connector. Then reverse the leads.. it should run in both directions. If not, pull it apart and see if there is some blockage. Then try the same thing with the motor from the other side. You don't need to pull it out of the car if you have long enough leads.

I hooked up the passenger window motor directly to the battery as you said, and it works up and down by changing
the polarity with the leads. Does this mean that the switch is bad ? Thanks for your help...........Ron.........;)

I'd replace the switch, or at least try swapping them around to be sure of which one is bad. I don't think there is anything special about the SC window switches, so if you find one from a regular tbird, it should work. Just take the old one with you to match it up.
Glad to help out. :)

RE: Window

Super Ditto ;-)

And like the post above like EDHUNT14 mentioned, My SC did the same thing. Turns out it was just the two white plastic rollers (sometimes referred to as window clutches). Replaced them and all is fine. It sucks to not be able to roll your windows down!!!!

Ed is a great guy. He went way out of his way to help me out.
The problem with mine, though, was not the cams. I believe that my dilemma are my switches. Or at least one of them.

Problem solved. I wish that they were all this easy. This morning I decided to check to see which switch was bad, and dismantled the passenger side switch module. I noticed that the probes on both the door lock switch and the window switch were identical. Switched the two back in the sockets and VOILA. POWER MAGIC Thanks to all of you that put in their 2c, it really helped out alot. ..........Ron...........:D :D :D :D

Back