Electronics

Jacob

Does anyone out there have a few minutes to explain the procedure of reading Haynes/Chilton's, and Ford Manuals' electronic diagrams? I have some electronic knowledge, but not enough to decipher the drift of these things. Any pointers would be helpful.....I gather in the Hayne's the solid lines refer to hot wires? Then there's dots and breaks in the lines.....could somebody share their extensive knowledge? Gracias

Jacob

Solid lines do not necessarily indicate "hot lines". When I get home I will pull out the EVTM and try and explain the legend for the drawings to you.

Jacob,

The solid lines (either all black or white) show a solid color wire. The "dashed" lines show a wire with color stripes. The color code works like this:

Y= solid Yellow
Y/BK would be a Yellow wire with Black stripes.
R= Red
W= white
BR= brown
DG= dark Green
LG= Light green

and so on and so on.

Anything else?

ya

Thanks for the info.....so in other words stripe wires are not core wires, core wires being?????

Also, can you tell me what some of the intersection symbols represent.....there is one in the haynes where four solid wires intersect and there is a space at the intersection with a solid dot in the middle.....the other symbol is two half - moons "spooning" each other with a gap in-between them......

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to the electronics side of engines.....but I'm trying to get into understanding more of it....is there some common things or tricks of the trade I can learn to test on a vehicle for problems that anyone is aware of. (ie other than putting an ohm/volt meter up to the spark plug wires to see if they're good.) In other words, what are some of the other tests I could run on the electronics for diagnosing various things, such as fan motors, starters, coils, A/C, alternators, Dis, EEC-IV, etc. etc.

anything would be useful!

thanks,

Jacob

Last edited:
Back